Thread: Anything like phymyadmin for a desktop application

Beans

Anything like phymyadmin for a desktop application

I'm looking for something easy to use for creating a couple of forms and less than a dozen macros against a mysql database. I don't want it to be a web based application or to use web based (browser) technology. It needs to sit on a Linux box with no browsers installed and not connectivity to the internet. It looks like phpmyadmin is centered around browsers. Is there anything available where I don't have to learn an actual programming language like Python or PHP?

Beans

Re: Anything like phymyadmin for a desktop application

LibreOffice includes a program called Base which is a desktop-oriented DBMS system like Microsoft Access. It comes with most flavors of Ubuntu and connect to MySQL databases.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I've tried Base and Kexi and both are buggy. I just tried them again tonight and the version I have wouldn't even let me save a table. Not worth the effort.

Beans

You won't like my next suggestion I suspect -- Microsoft Access. You can connect to MySQL with its ODBC driver.

I'm afraid I'm not much help beyond that. I write database applications in PHP because the browser provides a convenient platform-independent user interface.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans

LOL. Yes. I've been using it for years and like many that use Linux, am looking to get away from it. I'm not so stuck on my passion to get completely away from them, it's more of a PITA thing. I either have to dual boot, load some type of vm software like VirtualBox or try and get it to run in wine. I'd just prefer to hang on on Ubuntu. I may just put the effort into working around the bugs in Kexi / Base.

BTW, does anyone know the difference between Kexi and Base or are the really the same thing? I haven't compared them close enough to even know.

Beans

I've run Access 2007 in Wine. The WineHQ page for Access gives "bronze" status to both 2007 and 2010. Usually I run Win7 in a VirtualBox if I need Access.

I don't think Kexi and Base are related. The former is a KDE application, while the latter is part of LibreOffice. I haven't tried Kexi, though I just downloaded a copy out of curiosity. Like you, I've found Base pretty clunky the couple of times I've tried it. I've only really used it to upload data from spreadsheets to a remote PostgreSQL server and maybe run a few queries.

Beans

How funny. I thought Kexi and Base were closely related and somehow went the Kexi route. I just opened a Base db and I'm going to try that. The are different. So far so good. I'm going to really give Base a try.