Thread: Little prob. with Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Little prob. with Ubuntu

Hi - Novice of 36hrs!...

Refuge from Win XP. installed Ubuntu latest and Wine and all works fast and cleanly, even VPN. Brilliant Guys!!

Trivial little problem I have not solved; CDs play via sound card SBLive analogue stereo, but Firefox/Iplayer only outputs via inbuilt PC audio; I've set everything I can find to Soundcard but no success!

Not bad, as that is my sole problem, but I'd be grateful if someone can guide me further1

Thanks, Jeff

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Little prob. with Ubuntu

Welcome. Do you have Pulseaudio Volume Control installed? If not, install it and start an audio stream in Firefox/iPlayer (play some music), check the 'Output' tab in PAVControl and at the bottom there should be the Firefox/iPlayer stream. You can set where it's going in the drop-down menu to the right. Is it set to the correct place?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

many thanks for helpful reply; I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know.. (Great forum). Jeff (in france).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks greatly - took some random fiddling but all up and running on Audio card now! Hi quality Beeb Iplayer!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Great news, but can you be a bit more specific and share some of the random fiddling procedure? Did Pulseaudio Volume Control do it for you, mainly.

(Also, please mark thread as 'solved' by following the second link in my signature. Thanks.)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

yes thanks!! Your advice 'spot on' "fiddling" was no more than 1 min.! Much appreciated. Ubuntu is such a relief after a lifetime on Windows with all the updates and nags! So far, everything works!! amicalement jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

p.s. not bad at 73 yrs of age, perhaps!! VPN'ing into uk base, RDC no probs with shrewsoft client.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks Bucky! And your forum work is much appreciated! May I pose a question? In Windows, i used D-View (D-LINK) and Ispy to monitor my 8 security cams; is there a linux equivalent or Wine App that you know of, please? Jeff (France 44290)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You would be better to post a new thread about this. It will improve your chances of getting support. Not really my area, but yes, I have seen people talking about their Linux security camera setups and so yes, I do believe it is possible and there are Linux equivalents. Something I'd like to get up myself sometime ... when I have the time!

I say do some research, see what you find, then post a new thread with a descriptive title and see what bobs up. Good luck.

* Zoneminder could be what you're looking for. I just had a brief look here, you might like to have a deeper trawl or tweak the search criteria ...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ubuntu+security+camera

And this:

http://www.zoneminder.com/