Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to register a custom file chooser in ubuntu ?

Beans

How to register a custom file chooser in ubuntu ?

Hi,

I would like to override the file chooser(currently gtkfilchooser) with a custom file chooser on my Ubuntu OS ? Is this possible in any way ? I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to register a custom file chooser in ubuntu ?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases was EOL in 2013.

Also, which language are you programming using ... for after you get onto a supported release?

Beans

Yes i know it has reached EOL. But still we have it on one of our production servers. I would prefer any language for creating it. It's just that i want to make the file chooser more restricted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

We can not give much support for 10.04 LTS as, as stated, it is EOL. Too old and few are familiar with it now. Please refer here:

EOL release recommendations:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2229730

Upgrade to a supported release. It is a bad idea to be using an EOL release on a production machine, particularly if it is online. You've had no security updates for a year and a half and the machine will only become more vulnerable as time goes on.

PS: The repos are closed for 10.04 so even if you find another file chooser you won't be able to install it from the official repos.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 17th, 2014 at 06:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If a person were to pose a programming question in the Programming sub-forum ...
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

PS: The repos are closed for 10.04 so even if you find another file chooser you won't be able to install it from the official repos.
    Alright we will upgrade to latest one. But is it possible to create a custom file chooser and register it so that whenever other applications request the new custom one will be invoked ?

If a person were to pose a programming question in the Programming sub-forum ...
    Hmm, being a new here i was unaware of this. I'll post it there.

Beans

How to register a custom file chooser in ubuntu ?

Hi All,

Sorry to post it here again. Original post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2244416

I would like to override the file chooser(currently gtkfilchooser) with a custom file chooser on my Ubuntu OS ?
    After registering it, any external application which request a filechooser, the OS should invoke this new custom filechooser.
    Is this possible in any way ?
    I'm ready to code it in any language as long as my requirement is satisfied.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Threads merged.

Please do not create duplicate threads, it dilutes community effort.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/gtk/GtkFileChooser.html provides the API to do what you want for a single instance.
    Or https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/sta...ser-add-filter

That means inside 1 program that you write. It would be unwise to do it system wide, so that isn't easy ... well, you could get the GTK library code and modify it yourself, but it will break lots of other programs.

C or C++ are the languages for this. I suppose you could use ASM, but that would be painful. Many languages have wrappers for GTK which may or may not support the filter construct. If you are short on time, you'll want to pay a C/C++ expert. Gaining the knowledge that modifying a core library like that from zero C programming background is a 1-2 yr exercise. Doing it for 1 program alone ... probably 3-6 months.

Of course, you probably are much, much, much, smarter than me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You are mistaken if you think there is one single fle chooser. As a KDE-centric person, I see two of them, the one for the GTK apps and the one for the Qt apps (as a minimum). And any Java app would likely come with its own, derived from the Java one.

This said, for GTK2, all the answers I find are of the type 'it's open source, cook your own GTK lib'.

If you want to "restrict" the user, just do it properly by setting the adequate authorizations on files and directories? A user can completely bypass the UI and enter file path/names directly...
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast