Thread: Crontab edit with VIM not working as sudo

Beans

Crontab edit with VIM not working as sudo

I'm having troubles with editing my crontab. This is what happens: when I edit crontab as my own user 'crontab -e', everything works fine. The environment var "EDITOR" is read and /usr/bin/vim is started as the editor for the crontab. However, when I try to edit the crontab for root (by typing 'sudo crontab -e'), I receive the following errors:

Code:
    Error detected while processing /home/rogier/.vimrc:
    line    1: E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: syntax enableError detected while processing /home/rogier/.vim/colors/solarized.vim:
    line  141: E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: let s:terms_italic=["rxvt","gnome-terminal"]
    line  147: E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version: let s:terms_noitalic=["iTerm.app","Apple_Terminal"]
    For some reason, the .vimrc file is interpreted wrong and I don't know how to solve this.
    Last edited by lisati; September 12th, 2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Replaced "Font" tags with "Code" tags

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Crontab edit with VIM not working as sudo

This server has no GUI right? What what happens if you use the default .vimrc file? I mean, from your error I think you copied the .vimrc from a desktop and used it on the server?

Beans

Re: Crontab edit with VIM not working as sudo

Hi, indeed, the server is not running a GUI. The .vimrc is as follows. As you can see, it's not very complex.

syntax enable
    set background=dark
    colorscheme solarized