Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MicroSoft drops the hammer on it's e-mail consumers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: MicroSoft drops the hammer on it's e-mail consumers

Before it is published it is first "sent" secondly, "recieved" . The publishing process after the fact is totally beside the point.

Nothing wrong with Microsoft or anyone else charging for email service. I've used paid email providers for years because they have been consistently better than the free services. It's foolish and naive to expect email to be free to all comers, as if corporations had an obligation to give it away. (And hypocritical to demand gratis mail and then attack efforts to monetize it.)
    .. and it's your money if you want to give it a way , but don't call others foolish for expecting corporations to adhere to there original agreements.

Arguing that Ubuntu is immune to imaginary "Federal Trojans" is misinformation.

I don't know where you get your disinformation from. Can you refer to a link that states that Federal trojans are "imaginary"?

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...pying-software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On the topic at hand .. it will be very hard to police the millions of e-mails that are transmitted each day but it would be easy for a mix&match type google-bot to parse through the voluminous data flagging suspect phrases .. etc..
    True and it means that the trawl net has to scoop up every fish in order to select the few poisonous ones. Since 2000 the UK has had the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 or RIPA.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/23/contents

Look at Chapter 1 Interception, Section 4 Power to Provide for Lawful interception. How do they intercept the communications of people outside the UK without collecting all the communications passing through the Internet nodes in this country? And the politicians are surprised when it is their communications that get caught in the trawl net.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; September 13th, 2014 at 02:53 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Before it is published it is first "sent" secondly, "recieved" . The publishing process after the fact is totally beside the point.

.. and it's your money if you want to give it a way , but don't call others foolish for expecting corporations to adhere to there original agreements.

I don't know where you get your disinformation from. Can you refer to a link that states that Federal trojans are "imaginary"?

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...pying-software
    Email is not point-to-point communication. It's the creation of plain-text files that reside on servers until someone comes along to access that file. Wordplay sophistry won't change the reality of what happens.

The recent Snowden-inspired flap did not involve "trojans" installed on individual PC's.

The net was not, and is not, built to ensure privacy. Whatever privacy we have on the net depends on laws, their enforcement, and lack of a reason for other people to read what we put there.

We have no more right to expect privacy on the net than we would if it were a giant public bulletin board on which we posted handwritten notes. If you really don't want to risk someone seeing something, keep it off the net.

Free email: Slower, less reliable, uses me as a product. (Rather contradictory to complain about email privacy and then let free providers mine your email for targetted ads and other monetizing ventures). You'll need to show me a Terms of Service containing a binding promise to maintain that particular free email service in perpetuity. What any of us expect corporations to do is pretty pointless.
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; September 13th, 2014 at 03:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Email is not point-to-point communication. It's the creation of plain-text files that reside on servers until someone comes along to access that file. Wordplay sophistry won't change the reality of what happens.

The recent Snowden-inspired flap did not involve "trojans" installed on individual PC's.

The net was not, and is not, built to ensure privacy. Whatever privacy we have on the net depends on laws, their enforcement, and lack of a reason for other people to read what we put there.

We have no more right to expect privacy on the net than we would if it were a giant public bulletin board on which we posted handwritten notes. If you really don't want to risk someone seeing something, keep it off the net.

Free email: Slower, less reliable, uses me as a product. (Rather contradictory to complain about email privacy and then let free providers mine your email for targetted ads and other monetizing ventures). You'll need to show me a Terms of Service containing a binding promise to maintain that particular free email service in perpetuity. What any of us expect corporations to do is pretty pointless.
    I'm still waiting for a link from you pointing me to where it describes "Federal Trojans" as imaginary.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; September 13th, 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    True and it means that the trawl net has to scoop up every fish in order to select the few poisonous ones. Since 2000 the UK has had the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 or RIPA.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/23/contents

Look at Chapter 1 Interception, Section 4 Power to Provide for Lawful interception. How do they intercept the communications of people outside the UK without collecting all the communications passing through the Internet nodes in this country? And the politicians are surprised when it is their communications that get caught in the trawl net.

Regards.
    Ahhh .. grahammechanical!.. the master researcher .. Thank you for making my case for me on several fronts.

Unlawful and authorised interception
    1 Unlawful interception.

(1)It shall be an offence for a person intentionally and without lawful authority to intercept, at any place in the United Kingdom, any communication in the course of its *transmission* by means of—

edit; and of course that led to the Sprint / AT&T fiasco for surreptitiously complying.
    Last edited by ventrical; September 13th, 2014 at 03:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The only link I found with the terms 'imaginary federal trojans' points only to this thread. There is a 'federal trojan fake' which is actually a real malware .. but that's all I could find.

Anyways ... being a long time hotmail subscriber, I was taken aback at the popup notification with the new MSA terms included when I logged on to my account yesterday and thought it may be a good topic of discussion .. maybe even a heads up to migrate to an e-mail service elsewhere.

Regards...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I'm still waiting for a link from you pointing me to where it describes "Federal Trojans" as imaginary.

Regards..
    You lifted a phrase -- from a 2011 report about reported actvities of a German state government that you then specifically applied without substantiation to the U.S. federal government -- which you did not cite until a subsequent post. I don't need to play gotcha when substantive issues aren't addressed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    You lifted a phrase -- from a 2011 report about reported actvities of a German state government that you then specifically applied without substantiation to the U.S. federal government -- which you did not cite until a subsequent post. I don't need to play gotcha when substantive issues aren't addressed.
    But you have substantiated nothing, only opinions without documentation, and I had requested that prior to the above slant which is beyond the scope of the topic of this particular thread. E-mails are -sent- (transmitted) then recieved and subsequently published. It's basic A,B,Cs here. If you have documentation proving otherwise then please post the links.
    Thank you.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical
    So then people stop independently creating bugfixes or , I guess , use gmail instead
    Seeing as how you're already good and agitated, I see an opportunity to poke the bear by disagreeing

I see your point in this post, but in reality Microsoft has a pretty kickass bug bounty program.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dn425036.aspx

Surely we can all agree that you can torrent "free" (i.e. Pirated) versions of Windows rather easily. People try to reverse MS software for illegal purposes, other than bug hunting. I don't have a problem with Microsoft saying if they suspect you're doing this they will turn you in for prosecution. It's more transparency than there was previously. We know they've always done it, now they're just telling us they'll do it.

Like others said, it's a free email service. What kind of privacy is reasonable to expect when using it? (Hint: if the answer isn't NONE then you're delusional.)

/ButtonPushing
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Distro

Nope ... lol Not mad, angry or agitated.

Please see original thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post13120010

Basically , I own Microsoft , so , how can I steal something I own lol

Regards..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast