Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103
Results 1,021 to 1,028 of 1028

Thread: How to install Grub from a live Ubuntu cd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to install Grub from a live Ubuntu cd.

What is the matter with you people? Is your brain asleep? I tried to point out that there are two major different versions of grub that have been used with Ubuntu, grub 2 being the one used for the past several versions. Yet nobody is stating what version they are trying to install, or are using.

Some of you are obviously trying to use the outdated instructions for the old grub, and it simply will not work. There is no stage 1 or stage 2 in the new version, so of course you will not find it. You can follow the same instructions 1000000 times and it won't work. Someone with an old version or a different distro can tell you exactly what they did, but if you have a later version on Ubuntu, it will not work!!!

I am unsubscribing from this thread now, because it is simply getting to be rediculous, and a big waste of time for everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    thats all well and good but what happens with us guys who get Error 15: File not found what do I do?????????????
    Basically it means that the wrong drive has been selected, viz: -

Code:
    File Not Found (Error 15)

This error is the result of a GRUB 2 installation to /boot but a Master Boot Record ( MBR ) that points to a different partition/location that contains Grub Legacy. This can happen if you don't select your drive when running sudo upgrade-from-grub-legacy. Shortly after starting this command the user will be asked to select the device (sda, sdb, etc). Highlight the drive and press the space bar to select it when presented with this screen. Failure to select a drive will result in an Error 15.

Reinstalling Grub2 and allowing the MBR to be changed so that it points to the partition containing Grub2 can easily remedy this problem.

To recover from this error, GRUB 2 must be reinstalled. Go to Reinstalling from the LiveCD for instructions
    Above is from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...alling%20GRUB2

Don't forget the "sudo" in the command:
    Code:
        sudo apt-get purge grub grub-pc grub-common
    Keep having a crack

I remember having the same issue. I hadn't purged the leagacy GRUB properly. I swore a fair bit before I got it sorted.

When I purged the legacy GRUB and reinstalled from the Live CD and it was all good. I'm running XP & Maverick on 2 different HDDs but I have 3 HDDs in my system.

Over the journey, GRUB in general has caused me to have plenty of education through these forums by other members

Beans

Re: How to restore Grub from a live Ubuntu cd.

Quote Originally Posted by swaprava View Post
    I guess there is a multitude of problems when you try to dual boot ubuntu with windows 7. Let me summarize what I faced recently, and should certainly share so that more people can benefit.

1. I installed ubuntu over windows 7, hence grub2 took charge. As soon as one boots into windows again, the MBR erases the grub entries, so a problem occurs which is addressed in this post.
    2. However, when your PC can't detect any image on disk, you can't but boot with live CD. So did I. The best solution is to reinstall the grub. Rather change grub2 to the classic grub. Follow this link.
    3. Now the problem appears as posted above. It boots directly to Ubuntu and you can't even see Windows. So, one needs to add lines for windows in the /boot/grub/menu.lst . Follow this.

I found that the Windows 7 created 3 partitions in a Dell desktop: Dell Diagnostic, RECOVERY, and Windows 7. Out of which I found the Recovery partition to be put in the
    Code:
    root='(hdX,Y)'
    , where X and Y would be the hard disk number and partition number of the Recovery partition respectively.

I guess if you edit the grub.cfg / menu.lst in this way, everything should be fine and you will see windows to get booted again. Good luck.

I never expected that an OS would rewrite the MBR again after a successful installation of some other OS, leaving things in a mess. This is a shame for Windows. I wonder why nobody sued them yet.
    This is amazing, following link solved my problem
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik..._Writes_To_MBR

Beans

Smile Re: How to install Grub from a live Ubuntu cd.

Try Boot-Repair recently I recovered my GRUB using Boot-Repair,

Check This tutorial http://www.howopensource.com/2011/08...-10-and-10-04/

Beans

What a joke. The community should be ashamed when the only way to effectively get a distro dual booting correctly requires an iso image and a disjointed gui tool. Do any of you remember lilo? Hell, even Grub1? I'm sorry, but the emperor has no clothes. Grub2 is a bloated, convoluted POS. /rant

Beans

i have read all the comments above but what can u do when the "live cds" dont even boot?

Beans

Wink Re: How to install Grub from a live Ubuntu cd.

After trying Windows 8 on my hard drive instead of a virtual, it messed up MBR and GRUB when I removed it. The directions on the first page of this thread worked perfectly!
    Thank You!

Beans

Wink Re: How to install Grub from a live Ubuntu cd.

Quote Originally Posted by BobSlydell View Post
    What a joke. The community should be ashamed when the only way to effectively get a distro dual booting correctly requires an iso image and a disjointed gui tool. Do any of you remember lilo? Hell, even Grub1? I'm sorry, but the emperor has no clothes. Grub2 is a bloated, convoluted POS. /rant
    I never could get Grub2 to work correctly. Uninstalled it and reverted back to Grub. Gets the job done.

Page 103 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103