Re: MSN finally modernized

Yahoo's home page still looks much nicer...which is why i use it as such

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Yahoo's home page still looks much nicer...which is why i use it as such
    Like I said in my first post, "it's almost like yahoos", but more secure(if you've been reading softpedia lately, there is no such thing as absolutly secure)and less cluttered, but be sure I really like the yahoo homepage too, just don't find their search engine too hot. Yahoo has had the number one looking homepage since Marissa Mayer took over as ceo in 2012, she has made real good decisions. It was about time microsoft updated MSN. It's been the same since 2005 when they reorginized it for Windows Live services. That's why I have been using Bings homepage the last couple of years, new picture everyday and at the bottom, a few headlines, nothing great but streamlined, I had MSNs´ My MSN set to the only 3 topics that interested me, and some of them were hardly ever updated especially microsofts own that hasn't been updated in over 3 years. Typical microsoft, they start something good but don't develope it, then some other company wants to develope it further, THEN Microsoft screams "COPYWRITE INFRINGEMENT!!!" or what ever. I hope they stay on the ball with this one.

Oh and one more thing about Yahoos homepage, being that I only have HD2000 intergrated graphics on my laptop, their homepage was is very cpu active on windows 7 specially the weather, but with Ubuntu I have absolutly no problem because there are not as many services or daemons running in the background, like antivirus for example. I have 8 gig ram that's more than enough but what people don't think of it's the cpu tha matters for graphics, the next time I buy a computer or laptop, I'm going to pay more attention to the cpu(most important) and/or gpu(if applicable), I can always add more RAM or upgrade the HDD to SSD.
    Last edited by Cliff_Simonds; September 10th, 2014 at 06:23 PM.
    For better System Stability and Security avoid 3rd party programs & apps where you can; and only use those you really need.
    I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 HP and my last "BSOD" was in April 2012!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff_Simonds View Post
    I'll probably get sh*t stormed for this but... I'm an avid Bing user
    Sounds to me as though you have a fairly good idea of what to expect, then..!

No, seriously though. You're right, in that most people associate MSN with Messenger. I lost track of the number of times I attempted to turn it off in XP, only to have the damn silly mini-splash screen rear its stupid head, usually right in the middle of something important...

(Of course, unlike Linux, in XP you couldn't just switch to another desktop on the spur of the moment, and get away from it...)

I think it was another of those annoying Microsoft ideas; integrate it so closely into the system that if you tried to get rid of it, you would make the system so unstable that you'd have to do a re-install.....and hey, look! There it is....back again.

One of the first things I did in XP, YEARS ago, was switch to Firefox. It was fast, it was reliable, and it was SO much easier to use than IE6 (and then IE8...)

I never had ANY time for Bing; always used Google, even in the early days. And once I discovered Chrome, I just switched to Google, totally. It's easy enough to turn off all the auto-tracking features, once you know what you're doing...

But it's like a lot of things; whatever 'floats your boat'. And the decision of whether or not to use Bing, is exactly like that of using Linux; freedom of choice.

Regards,

Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Mike,
    On my system chrome has been slower then IE11 until the last update, now it's blazing when I use win7, in ubuntu I prefer FF. What'S great with Chrome and FF is when you have to reinstall or upgrade your system, you just have sign in and sync and POW all settings and tabs are there again. I was just using the my msn site once in a while, but bing homepage was what I preferred until now. "I" think other than win7 bing is the best microsoft "product" to date. The problem with IE is they fell asleep at the helm until netscape became the mozilla foundation(1998) and then Chrome(2008) which blew'em all away in speed and security. But with IE11 microsoft finally got the spin(english in pool) and a fast product. I realize as long as there are enough people with criminal energy not even my beloved ubuntu is 100% safe. The advantage with ubuntu is it only takes me about 1-2 hours to reinstall and set up every thing instead of 1-2 days.
    Back to MSN, what I like about it is: it's now set up kinda like a online info center with all my preferences no matter whic OS or which browser I use, like Yahoos' and Google news, Yeah it's set up for touch(like moszt sites these days), but it works great with a mouse too(one could say biHIDual(Human Interface Device)).
    For better System Stability and Security avoid 3rd party programs & apps where you can; and only use those you really need.
    I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 HP and my last "BSOD" was in April 2012!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff_Simonds View Post
    I like the way bing presents the search results with pictures, wiki's , people also searched for, maps, weather and related searches offered without extra searching. And what I like about MSN news is in my first post. Microsoft let's you decide what if any "tracking" advertising will be shown. Of course I use an adblocker on all my browsers in win 7 and ubuntu, but I've never saw an ad in outlook, calendar or onedrive. Also microsoft is fighting the US government to protect user data, where as Google wants to sell it, and also is fighting against it in the "right to be forgotten case". Google only "DOES EVIL". And yes I use google also too when searching and need a second opinion.
    No problem with anyone using MSN.com or bing but find your microsoft v google comments naive and inaccurate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12