Thread: Can't boot various Macs from USB, “malformed file” error

Beans

Can't boot various Macs from USB, “malformed file” error

Sorry I posted this on askubuntu, but have very little interest in the question (16 views in 24 hours...), so I thought I would try here. Sorry for spam, but it's a little urgent.

I have been given a USB by my university with a bootable version of Ubuntu (I am unsure what version) pre-loaded with a bunch of software I need for robotics.
    Several computers successfully booted off it today, and supposedly it's successfully been run on a few macs in the past. Today however we tried it on a few and had no luck getting past the "Malformed File Error, Press any key to continue" at start-up, as the keyboard/mouse (both the inbuilt one on the laptops and USB ones) didn't seem to be getting registered, or the install froze. This occurs at the very first stage of booting, so there are no menus to change.

Note that the computers tested were an mbpr 11,1, a macbook air of some age, and an imac about 12 months old (the imac didn't even show the USB in the boot menu). When inserting the USB into the macOS, the error "the disk you inserted cannot be read on this computer" or something shows up (which i believe all Ubuntu USBs display on macs). I can't tell what the file format is on the USB, but it shouldn't matter?

So far I've only tried booting it through holding option and selecting the little icon (which actually says Windows underneath it). All that happens is the malformed file error shows up then nothing changes. I do have VirtualBox installed but it's a bit of a mission to get a VM of a USB I believe. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I havent given much info but I don't have much to give.

Thanks for your help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Can't boot various Macs from USB, “malformed file” error

Thread moved to Apple Hardware Users.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]