Thread: Minimum install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Angry Minimum install

Just updated to 14.04 on very old laptop. Everything works great on just 117 megs of ram (LXDE distro). This pc only use is for reading PDF documents. Previously had uninstalled all other software using Software Center but now upgrade reinstalled again. Is there an easier way? Do not need Libre Office, Games, music player or Browser, etc. Just plain ol PDF Doument Viewer.
    Last edited by mayagrafix; September 6th, 2014 at 05:02 AM.
    Ubuntu 15.04/OS type: 64-bit/Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4/Memory: 5.8 GiB/Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS/Disk: 320 GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Minimum install

If the machine has a functional network connection, you can try a mini install.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
    when you get to the part of installing packages, you can avoid the 'buntu-desktop meta-packages and go down to manually select packages, or whatever it is called, and then sort of ala carte whatever you want.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

And there's always Lubuntu 14.04...
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 LTS

"...and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking...racing around to come up behind you again." - Pink Floyd

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

+1 to a minimal install. After that you just need sudo apt-get install lxde for a minimal desktop environment, even lighter than a standard Lubuntu.

LXDE is possibly (I don't remember) so light that you have to do package management and updates by command line.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Elfy is coordinating the testing of a Xubuntu minimal iso install for 14.10. Test iso images located at:

32 bit -
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/mini.iso
    64 bit -
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/mini.iso

I plan on testing it this weekend to see what it includes. If you test it as well, please enter your test info in the QA tracker - it would be a great help.