Thread: Reallocated Sector Count failure.

Beans

Reallocated Sector Count failure.

I was going to install Windows 7 on a USB so I could use some other programs, so I attempted to format the drive with DISKPART. It took about an hour to format it into NTFS, and then it failed. I tried again and it said there was no disk. So I booted into my Ubuntu 14.04 USB and tried to re-install it, but it said that on the drive was likely to fail soon so I looked at S.M.A.R.T after some searching, and it said the reallocated sector count failed. I'm pretty sure it's that failed Windows 7 install, but I've done this before with no problem, with GPart though, but it wasn't working. Anyone know any solutions? Everything I searched said to replace the drive, but I don't think I can do that..

Help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Reallocated Sector Count failure.

Quote Originally Posted by elianmanzueta200 View Post
    I was going to install Windows 7 on a USB so I could use some other programs, so I attempted to format the drive with DISKPART. It took about an hour to format it into NTFS, and then it failed. I tried again and it said there was no disk. So I booted into my Ubuntu 14.04 USB and tried to re-install it, but it said that on the drive was likely to fail soon so I looked at S.M.A.R.T after some searching, and it said the reallocated sector count failed. I'm pretty sure it's that failed Windows 7 install, but I've done this before with no problem, with GPart though, but it wasn't working. Anyone know any solutions? Everything I searched said to replace the drive, but I don't think I can do that..

Help?
    If the reallocated sector count is increasing with each boot/disk access, it is an indication of disk problems, and you probably should _not_ use that disk.

Also, how did you perform the test?
    Should be something like (assuming disk is /dev/sda)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install smartmontools
    sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sda
    Last edited by sandyd; September 5th, 2014 at 03:12 AM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    If the reallocated sector count is increasing with each boot/disk access, it is an indication of disk problems, and you probably should _not_ use that disk.

Also, how did you perform the test?
    Should be something like (assuming disk is /dev/sda)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install smartmontools
    sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sda
    Well, I just opened up disks and it said it was likely to fail soon, so I just ran another test. I'll try again right now.

Picture: http://i.imgur.com/bQZkSC5.png, whenever I try to do a SMART test it has this error:

sk_disk_smart_self_test: Operation not supported (udisks-error-quark, 0)

EDIT:

Whenever I try to install Ubuntu 14.04, it crashes and says something about my CD/DVD player. Maybe I have to re-install Ubuntu on my USB? I'm not installing it on a DVD/CD, I am using USB.
    Last edited by elianmanzueta200; September 5th, 2014 at 07:56 PM.

Beans

Your hard drive is clearly failing. Replace it.

Beans

Uhh, I just checked again and it actually is decreasing. It used to have about 19K sectors and now it has 16K sectors. I don't know if that's good or not, but at least it's not increasing, right?

EDIT:

Installer Error:

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error: '/target/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-32'

This is often due to a faulty hard disk. It may help to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.
    Last edited by elianmanzueta200; September 6th, 2014 at 08:04 PM.

Beans

Fixed by enabling LVM.