Timeout: 2 seconds
    BootOrder: 0003,0005,2003,2001,2002
    Boot0001* UEFI: Network Card
    Boot0002* UEFI: Network Card
    Boot0003* UEFI: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 1.26
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
    Boot2003* EFI Network
    Are you using 'Advanced' option in Boot-Repair to select the Grub location as 'separate efi partition'?

According to the above code there isn't any HDD... unless 'EFI USB Device' is your HDD, however, I don't think so.
    But try setting your boot to it and see how it fares...
    Ideally there should an entry 'Ubuntu' or something suggesting your HDD.

Post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo gdisk /dev/sda
    and exit 'gdisk' by typing 'q'

Code:
    sudo fixparts /dev/sda
    again 'q' will exit fixparts.
    Hello,

Yes I am using the 'Advanced' option in Boot-Repair to select the Grub location as separate efi partition'? I will try running those commands my suspicion is that the hard disk has errors and ubuntu has been properly installed more than 10 times at this point... After install and removing the flash there is NO boot. Everything is set right in the BIOS but CLEARLY there is an issue with the Hard disk. to add craziness to the situation sometimes after re-installs it will phantomly boot ONCE - sometimes after saying there is no media... keep in mind Boot priority is Hard disk - USB - CDrom - Lan. So after the phantom boots its back to please insert a bootable media and restart issue. So possible hard disk issues here.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Wont install

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Code:
    BootCurrent: 0003
    Timeout: 2 seconds
    BootOrder: 0003,0005,2003,2001,2002
    Boot0001* UEFI: Network Card
    Boot0002* UEFI: Network Card
    Boot0003* UEFI: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 1.26
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
    Boot2003* EFI Network
    Are you using 'Advanced' option in Boot-Repair to select the Grub location as 'separate efi partition'?

According to the above code there isn't any HDD... unless 'EFI USB Device' is your HDD, however, I don't think so.
    But try setting your boot to it and see how it fares...
    Ideally there should an entry 'Ubuntu' or something suggesting your HDD.

Post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo gdisk /dev/sda
    and exit 'gdisk' by typing 'q'

Code:
    sudo fixparts /dev/sda
    again 'q' will exit fixparts.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gdisk /dev/sda
    GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.8

Partition table scan:
    MBR: protective
    BSD: not present
    APM: not present
    GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): q
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fixparts /dev/sda
    FixParts 0.8.8

Loading MBR data from /dev/sda

This disk appears to be a GPT disk. Use GNU Parted or GPT fdisk on it!
    Exiting!

Good stuff huh, I am starting over again now with some UEFI instructions I found on here... still GPT tho
    Last edited by josh84; September 5th, 2014 at 07:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Well, you don't really have to install in UEFI mode - since Windows 8 is not there. You could partition your disk with MSDos Partition table where you would install Ubuntu in Legacy mode, or whatever it's called on your system. Nothing wrong with that.

Not sure what legacy mode is on this Toshiba but I know how to format it to MSDos...

Beans

What he means is toggling from UEFI boot to CSM/Bios in the BIOS configuration...
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 LTS

"...and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking...racing around to come up behind you again." - Pink Floyd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by christopher9 View Post
    What he means is toggling from UEFI boot to CSM/Bios in the BIOS configuration...

I can do that easy peasy. Hopefully that will make this work already... Its day 3 of being bricked.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by christopher9 View Post
    Working on installing MSdos is CSM mode... I actually got a boot menu this time! Wow I chose ubuntu but it is just a puprple screen forever... Would a boot repair be a good option here... The boot options are

*Ubuntu
    Advanced options for Ubuntu
    Memory test 86+
    Memory test 86+ serial console 115200
    MS-dos on dev/sdb1

After trying to boot and waiting a minute or 5 it said this

Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems.
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    - check root= ( did the system wait for the right device)

Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/e5106260-91ed-4a6d-a7ae-7e670f044ea2 does not exist Dropping to shell

Busybox v1.21.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.21.0-1ubuntu1) built - in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands...

Help?
    Last edited by josh84; September 5th, 2014 at 10:41 PM.

Beans

Flaky disk drive ?
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 LTS

"...and you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking...racing around to come up behind you again." - Pink Floyd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/e5106260-91ed-4a6d-a7ae-7e670f044ea2 does not exist Dropping to shell
    HDD with '/' partition is missing.... its the same problem as explained in my earlier post...
    It doesn't seem to matter whether its UEFI or legacy/csm...
    Get that HDD checked. Have you run SMART tests on your HDD with 'Disks' utility?

Also check in UEfI menu for HDD SATA mode or something like that... it should be set to 'AHCI'.
    Last edited by fantab; September 6th, 2014 at 03:32 AM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Well, this is a better outcome. Looks like a grub menu! There are two things which are odd: The last entry for "MSDos on /dev/sdb1" would not normally be there - what does it do? Second, I wonder why you get a grub menu at all? The computer should not show it if there is only one OS. Maybe you pressed the magic key to get the menu? I would see if the problem repeats if you restart (I suspect you probably already did). Anyway, googling the error "Still waiting for root device" will connect to reports by others with the same error and some causes and fixes. Maybe a solution can be found. Also, you could start a more specific new thread based on that "still waiting for root device" message.

I assume when you installed, you let the installer erase and use the whole disk? Then the creation and the layout of partitions suggested by the installer should be good.

Some implementations of Toshiba UEFI are reportedly not good. Google "Toshiba UEFI Linux" and read some. Could explain the failure of you initial UEFI attempts. These are mostly from 2013. I would stick with an MS DOS partition table and legacy bios mode when installing.

Beans

If you go to the Toshiba support site and enter your serial number, what BIOS version are they recommending ?
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 LTS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234