Thread: New Ubuntu install on SSD and HDD setup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New Ubuntu install on SSD and HDD setup

So I am going to install Ubuntu on an SSD soon but I want to keep my HDD for movies, music and pictures. Do I need to partition my HDD also in some way or will it just work out of the box?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New Ubuntu install on SSD and HDD setup

I have two hard disks. It does not matter if I am running a version of Ubuntu from sda or sdb Ubuntu will put icons for all the partitions on both hard disks into the launcher and I can open any partition and access the folders and files on that partition. File manager will let me do the same. And I can direct applications to save files to whatever partition I choose on both disks or open files on any partition I choose on both disks

For example, I can run Ubuntu on sda and use Libreoffice to edit documents in a partition on sdb. I can open Rhythmbox and get it to import music files from sdb. And I can do it the other way around if I choose to.

The fact that I have two Sata drives and you have 1 SSD and 1 Sata drive should make no difference.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530