Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Linux on Kickstarter promises traditional UI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New Linux on Kickstarter promises traditional UI

More power to 'em but is anyone actually writing any code over there?

A lot of mis-informed people seem to think patching together a new Linux distribution from packages made and hosted elsewhere and then de-branding and de-trademarking things is the same thing as creating a new OS.

If that's all that's going on, why ask for money?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Interesting to see a young guy trying to get his name out there. I hope he and his team learn from this and grow afterwards. It's too bad he doesn't just contribute back to Linux though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Vaporware! As one who has a keen interest in funding platforms I have to say that in this case, teenage idealism should be encouraged and it must feel great to get money from folks for doing what you want to do. I wouldn't give him a penny though and I agree with points made by Buzz & Ruze - rebranding with minimal code isn't an o/s and no angle on re-contributing is somewhat selfish.

Still, ethics and money aside.....as well as variations on a theme......the transformation of ideas into holistic solutions for genuine benefit to us and the planet is something very interesting.

[I digress - just coming up on my first cup of real roast Java - and the sun is rising into a clear blue sky!]
    Last edited by Steve_Guy; September 8th, 2014 at 07:10 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12