Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grub help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub help

If you are going to re-install and I think that you need to re-install to fix this problem, then please follow the advice in this wiki page

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Having a PC with EFI firmware does not mean that you need to install Ubuntu in EFI mode. What is important is below:

• if the other systems (Windows Vista/7/8, GNU/Linux...) of your computer are installed in EFI mode, then you must install Ubuntu in EFI mode too.
    • if the other systems (Windows, GNU/Linux...) of your computer are installed in Legacy (not-EFI) mode, then you must install Ubuntu in Legacy mode too. Eg if your computer is old (<2010), is 32bits, or was sold with a pre-installed Windows XP.
    • if Ubuntu is the only operating system on your computer, then it does not matter whether you install Ubuntu in EFI mode or not.
    Windows 7 is installed in EFI mode. So, must Ubuntu be installed in EFI mode.

It is my guess that you decide to clean out some of the old kernels and you cleaned out all the kernels.

Please also remember that Boot Repair will put a copy of the report on pastebin and provide a URL to the page of pastebin where the report is stored. All you need to do is give us the URL and then we can click on it and the report will open in another browser tag. It will make things easy for you and it will keep the thread neater and that makes it easier for us the understand the situation.

I do not wish to download even a text file on to my machine. So, I have not seen the second most important part of the Boot Repair report - What Boor Repair was recommending to fix this problem. It is at the bottom of the report.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; September 4th, 2014 at 01:18 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12