Thread: Problems with authentication agent

Beans

Problems with authentication agent

Hi guys

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, running the xubuntu-desktop setup.

Software center keeps failing with permission errors, and I've managed to uncover that this is due to a component named polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 not running.

Every article I've read about this suggests to try and execute it from xterm after having logged in, but when I do this, I just get this error:

Code:
    ** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:24806): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Cannot determine user of subject
    Cannot register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Cannot determine user of subject
    The only reference to this error I've found had to do with problems starting the agent during login, but for me it fails even if I start it from the command line after having logged in.

Anybody have any ideas? I'd love to get this working.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problems with authentication agent

Do you have this problem with the software centre when using the Ubuntu Gnome Unity session. I ask because polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 is a Gnome component. What is the corresponding agent for the Xfce desktop?

I have found this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2211822

With this link relating to Lubuntu

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...er/002875.html

Find out if you have polkit-desktop-privileges installed. I have it on my Utopic Unicorn Unity system.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: Problems with authentication agent

I can't use the Gnome Unity session, as this is a headless VM on an ESX farm which I connect to through xrdp. I basically just installed the xubuntu-desktop meta package and it all got pulled in from that.

I also have the policykit-desktop-privilege package installed.