Thread: Evolution email new mail indicator

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Evolution email new mail indicator

I am giving Evolution email a try and am noticing something rather odd. When a new email comes in, the envelope on the tray will turn blue letting me know there is new email. When I was using Thunderbird, if I were to open the email program and read the email, this indicator would automatically revert back to white until a new email was received. With Evolution, the indicator is never cleared but remains blue even if I have already opened the new message.

Any idea what is going on? Or is this just a minor annoyance with Evolution?

Beans

Re: Evolution email new mail indicator

It's a reported bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1243225
    Everyone who has this issue should subscribe to the bug.
    However, do _not_ add 'me too' comments. Merely subscribe to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the reply. It's disappointing that the bug is almost a year old and has yet to be fixed. However, it is a minor annoyance so perhaps something most can live with if they want to use the software. I would think that any bug would be something that the developers would want to fix within a certain period of time, not let hang for almost a year making it look like they have no interest in fixing a problem with the software.

Beans

Whoa there.
    Don't jump to conclusions about what developers think.

The proper developers don't even know about this bug yet because NOBODY HAS TOLD THEM.
    Nobody has told the developers yet because no volunteer community member has Triaged the bug yet.
    Triaging the bug is done by volunteers and includes forwarding the bug to the proper development team (Ubuntu? Unity? Gnome? Evolution?)
    Nobody has Triaged the bug yet because no volunteer community member Confirmed that the bug really exists until today (me) by subscribing to it.

The community dropped the ball - not the developers.
    Reporting and triaging bugs is a community responsibility in Ubuntu. You and me.

The Ubuntu Bug Squad is currently welcoming new volunteers to learn how to triage bugs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, I believe I understand the process a little more clearly now. I was under the impression, quite wrongly, that when this bug was reported on October 22, 2013 that the developers would have been notified. I didn't realize that more people needed to subscribe in order to let them know that there was an issue. But now that I think of it, it makes sense for it to be this way. Otherwise they would be chasing ghosts with every minor thing that creeps up for just one person due to a configuration problem.

Thanks for the clarification. I have also subscribed adding myself to the list of people noticing this as an issue.