Thread: Xfce desktop text alignment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

Xfce desktop text alignment

With ubuntu or ubuntu gnome, with desktop folders, launchers, etc., text under the icon is centered. However, on xubuntu 14.04(xfce) the text is left justified.

1. Anyone know where this is set and if it can be changed so that text is centered?
    2. Despite lots of suggestions, I have not been able to expand the text field. I believe its a % of the icon width. Ideas that work?

Thanks

Beans

Re: Xfce desktop text alignment

Did you do a fresh install of Xubuntu 14.04? In that, the icons have centered text (see attachment). But, I don't have a solution on how to change the text alignment short of a fresh install to get it right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Try renaming the ~/.config/xfce4 as ~/.config/xfce4-bak then logout and in again. That will reset all the desktop configuration to the default and should get you back to what I think is normal.

I have my desktop icons set as 34px and font is ubuntu, size 11, and that gives me icons as in the screenshot.

Beans

All images shown so far show only one line of text under the icon. If the icon size is too small, the text will overflow to a second line and that will left-justify with the first line. See the attachment. This is probably what you are seeing. Still, the entire 'block of text' is centered in that it could possibly be further to the left - compare the top and bottom icons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

You are correct. In the example below, I create a folder on the desktop. As you can see, the overflow is left justified. Doing the same on gnome or ubuntu has the overflow centered.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I always edit the icon/launcher name of all of mine to a single word, eg from "Firefox Web Browser" to just "Firefox"

I already know its a web browser and don't need the icon to tell me!