Thread: unitry-settings-daemon cauing high CPU usage -- 14.04 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

unitry-settings-daemon cauing high CPU usage -- 14.04 64-bit

Has there been anything in updates posted to 14.04 64-bit in last day or so (29-30 AUG) that would cause the unity-settings-daemon to take over 20% of CPU, essentially locking machine up for what it seems to be a minute or so? There has been nothing done to PC [DELL VOSTRO 3500 laptop (Intel i5 processor with 4 CPUs and 8 GB RAM] other than updates through update notifier.

Thank you,

John

Beans
    Distro

Re: unitry-settings-daemon cauing high CPU usage -- 14.04 64-bit 2nd request

I need help. unity-settings-daemon appears to have taken over my DELL Vostro 3500 laptop. Everytime I try to do something such as open a LibreWriter document or open a PDF file with evide or adobe reader, my laptop locks-up for a minute or two. When whatever release, system monitor shows that unity-settings-daemon is taking up over 25% of the processor (4-CPU Intel i5). Fortnately, everything is backed up on SpiderOak and I can move all needed files to anothe PC. However, that can ony go as far as my next business trip.

Is unity-settings daemon the culprit or is it only a symptom of a bigger problem. How do I make sure I don't have a bad spot on the SSD? Laptop is dual-boot with Win XP Pro SP3 on a NTFS partition. Things on that side seam to be working normally.

Thank you,

John

Beans
    Distro

Re: unitry-settings-daemon cauing high CPU usage -- 14.04 64-bit

I have been working wih Canonical on this. The "lock-up" is caused by opening or saving a Librewriter file. The underlying cause is still to be detemined.

John

Beans
    Distro

Re: unitry-settings-daemon cauing high CPU usage -- 14.04 64-bit

The solution was to setup an alternate name/directory for myself. i still have the original directory, but it is still slow. New directory works at normal speed. No explanation of underlying cause.

john