Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Make a Better Ubuntu

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Make a Better Ubuntu

Funny, I think Ubuntu 14.04 is one of the best releases I have used. I have it running on 3 computers and we never have any problems these days. I think quality has greatly improved! I used to always have problems running Ubuntu but ever since they started developing Unity quality has really improved. I did have some problems when 14.04 was first released but they seem to be doing a nice job fixing bugs. Sure, there are a few features I have on my wish list but I am still happy with what I have.

Beans

The right click > format option was not a nautilus option, it was a nautilus extension provided by the old gnome-disk-utility (libnautilus-gdu.so.) The newer gnome-disk-utility, ( 'disks') source does not include it & far beyond what Ubuntu would take on adding back. Plus not that hard to discover though if gnome-disks.desktop had a bit more descriptive Comment= line it might be easier in a Dash search
    (Ex. if they added Format to that line in some manner then it would show as in screen when searching "format"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    You're certainly not alone. The Nautilus developers, however, disagree. If you look over their mailing list, you'll the specific reasons important to them.
    It's not about you-think and I-think and disagreeing. I'm merely trying to tell you how the Ubuntu communities work, and how you CAN make changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The right click > format option was not a nautilus option, it was a nautilus extension provided by the old gnome-disk-utility (libnautilus-gdu.so.) The newer gnome-disk-utility, ( 'disks') source does not include it & far beyond what Ubuntu would take on adding back. Plus not that hard to discover though if gnome-disks.desktop had a bit more descriptive Comment= line it might be easier in a Dash search
    (Ex. if they added Format to that line in some manner then it would show as in screen when searching "format"
    OK but Ubuntu should facilitate usb formating like Linux Mint did with Mint Stick...

Developers use bug trackers to prioritize which bugs should be fixed in their limited time available. "Fix my bug" is not a useful idea to improve Ubuntu. Bugs are already getting fixed all the time.

And the users who reported those bugs haven't done their community duty yet - many of those bug reports contain inadequate information for a (volunteer) bug triager to reproduce the problem. If a triager cannot reproduce the problem, a developer will never see the bug report. When I have triaged bugs, I have had to close tons of bugs like those...often after *begging* the reported for more information, without response. The report is a waste of everybody's time -including the reporter's time- unless it contains useful information to actually locate the bug.

IF YOU WANT THOSE BUGS FIXED: Participate. Add a lot more detail to them. Starting with exactly how to reproduce the behavior - every time. Tag the bugs properly: See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Tags for how. Add apport information to bugs lacking it.

FYI, Canonical hired the world's #1 compiz developer for two years, and he did mountains of bugfixing and improvements in Compiz between 2012 and 2014, so they obviously do pay attention to bugs.

Research why - that's your contribution as a community member. The parted application resizes the partition for a reason. If it turns out the reason is a bug, then (and only then) please file a bug report. Explain the problem (good thing you researched it), and it will be fixed.
    I will, but I been trying for two months to have the bug that bothers me most fixed and nothing happen, not even a comment. I have seen so many bugs, even well reported, that are not fixed for month/years so I try something to put some under the spotlight. I know devs do their best to make Ubuntu and , as I already say, I respect their work. But some little bugs have to be fixed and some little feaures added.

Why? The frequency is usually autodetected properly. X developers spent years getting autodetection to work - and eliminated myriads of config file tweaks in the process. I don't miss those old days one bit.
    In other words, seem to be asking for a workaround - to disable autodetection. Why?
    If your hardware is not autodetected properly, it's usually because you have faulty display hardware that reports wrong values. Please file a bug report with the details of your display hardware so X developers can craft a patch. To set the frequency as a workaround to faulty display hardware, see http://askubuntu.com/questions/59621...s-refresh-rate .
    Simply because when you want to watch a 23.976hz or 24hz or 25hz or 29.97hz or 30hz movie on your TV you have to manually change the display refresh rate... A little feature that miss...
    Last edited by jeremy9856; August 31st, 2014 at 02:06 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post
    Funny, I think Ubuntu 14.04 is one of the best releases I have used. I have it running on 3 computers and we never have any problems these days. I think quality has greatly improved! I used to always have problems running Ubuntu but ever since they started developing Unity quality has really improved. I did have some problems when 14.04 was first released but they seem to be doing a nice job fixing bugs. Sure, there are a few features I have on my wish list but I am still happy with what I have.
    You misunderstand I wrote :

I like Ubuntu, it's a really great OS but to be honest compared to Windows or Mac OSX it's not as polished. That's why I made a list of "small things" that can be improved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

OP's concerns have been thoroughly answered, thanks everyone for participating.

Closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123