Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adept vs. Synaptic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Adept vs. Synaptic

Does anyone else that has used both think that Adept is a joke??? Or is it just me? I have used Synaptic, and apt-get and Adept. Am I missing something or is Adept really as sorry as I think it is? Uninstalling and installing, I'm not impressed. I can NEVER find programs when searching in Adept, even with any suite selected and both boxes check marked. I tried searching for a program installed (via apt-get) and it didn't show it. I searched with synaptic, and viola, there it was, and I did a complete removal so I could re-install it on a clean slate. Why is Adept so lacking?

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Adept vs. Synaptic

adept is harder to use than synaptic, but I don't think it is a "joke". The 2.0 version is taking long to work on, but I'll be happy once it is done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I don't like adept too much either. Synaptic beats it by a long while.. I'd rather the KDE guys ported Synaptic to QT widgets instead of wasting time on Adept.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use aptitude, but I agree that Synaptic is more fully featured than Adept.

Beans

I heard somewhere that Smart was taking over as the package manager. Don't know how true that is but it's a nice piece of software

Certainly I prefer Synaptic to Adept.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by ColinG View Post
    I heard somewhere that Smart was taking over as the package manager. Don't know how true that is but it's a nice piece of software

Certainly I prefer Synaptic to Adept.
    Smart is written in Python. I don't know about you guys, but python apps suck lots of memory and cpu out of this machine.. Synaptic is working, so why fix it?

I remember in Fedora core 5, the applications for updates and installing stuff were all in python..as slow as hell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by LordRaiden View Post
    adept is harder to use than synaptic, but I don't think it is a "joke". The 2.0 version is taking long to work on, but I'll be happy once it is done.
    I guess I spent quite a bit of time on Gnome, and really grew to like Synaptic, and as far as easy to learn and use, I prefer it. What is and when is Adept 2 coming out? I would really think that they would be better off just porting Synaptic over. Let me fire a question at you. How do you "completely remove" a program using Adept? Or does it always "completely remove"? Those how have used Synaptic will understand the difference, I have yet to discover this in Adept.

Thanks for all the input, I was starting to think that I wasn't very adept at using Adept.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Synaptic probably is better, but Adept is okay. It does it's job, and I don't use it that often anyway. I set my system up and don't really need to (un)install very often. And when there are updates, I start it off and then leave it alone.

I would like to know about completely removing programs though. That is something I've never been sure about.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Adept 2 is out now. Still having the bugs sorted out. It's on Kubuntu Edgy at the moment, and I occasionally use it (apt-get is faster for me since i use Yakuake as a console). Adept works in the same way as apt-get and synaptic, if you get rid off a package, all the packages that depend on it are removed as well.

In Kubuntu, you have two ways to get to Adept. The first is the add/remove programs option (Application names instead of package names). Under System or Utilties, there is Adept Package Manager which is more like synaptic. It also has nice features like being able to look for packages under a different subset (all, xorg, dev, games etc..).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think Adept is fine. My only issue with it is that it doesn't tell you what it's doing all the time.

When you go to install something for example it doesn't tell you what extra packages will be installed, or if there are conflicts which packages will be removed. You have to preview changes to find that out.

On the other hand Adept does provide more info on each dependency. Before you install something, you can see it's dependencies, and their dependencies, and get far more information about each package then you can with Synaptic.

I personally prefer Synaptic, but I think both package managers have their strengths and weaknesses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast