Thread: Particularly persistent spammer

Beans

Particularly persistent spammer

This guy is a menace, spamming several forums and Stack Exchange sites. If the spammer is really based in India, it's quite sad that the authorities haven't made him (or her) a "guest" of the government by now.

The other point is how rapidly people are allowed to post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vasa1; August 28th, 2014 at 05:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Particularly persistent spammer

He should be silent now. Thanks for reporting.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    He should be silent now. Thanks for reporting.
    You're welcome but this spammer will come back. IIRC, this is at least the second time.

I'm pretty sure the forum has settings to control the frequency of posts. I know that I can't report spam unless a certain time has elapsed.

I very much doubt that, other than mods, people need to be able to post rapidly.

I remember raising this issue more than a year ago when a certain forum admin was active.

Beans

I suggest removing the thumbnails, as they are just serving the purpose of the spammer - advertising their phone no.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes, there is a floodcheck in place to prevent too-rapid posting. However, if we were to increase the minimum time between posts we would get complaints, gripes, grizzles, grumbles, groans, whinges and moans from a few users who are not spammers. As with everything, a balance has to be struck which will never please everyone.

Some spammers come back. Swallows come back. Winter viruses come back. C'est la vie.

Edit: Oh, and... Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.
    Last edited by coffeecat; August 28th, 2014 at 09:21 AM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    ... However, if we were to increase the minimum time between posts we would get complaints, gripes, grizzles, grumbles, groans, whinges and moans from a few users who are not spammers. ...
    I wonder. Anyway ...