Thread: Suspend completely freezes computer

Beans

Suspend completely freezes computer

I've got a Dell Inspiron 3647 with Ubuntu 14.04 installed. I completely wiped out Windows, as I don't need it, so it's a fully dedicated Ubuntu computer.

I bought the computer on Amazon, and this is the one I bought: amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0HMR8G

Twice, immediately after suspending, the login screen appears and the computer is completely frozen. The mouse won't move, and the keyboard doesn't respond to anything, even [Ctrl-Alt-F1]. The only thing I can do is hold down the computer's on/off button and force the computer to shut down.

This happened today. I was using a terminal, Firefox, and Sublime text editor. Workspaces are enabled, but I was only using a single workspace. I've been learning some Bash scripting, so I wasn't doing anything serious.

The computer normally suspends just fine, and have never any other problems with the computer, although it is only about a month old.

Is there any way to track down, perhaps view an error log or something, so I can offer some information to you, and you can help me figure out what the problem is?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Suspend completely freezes computer

not sure if this is of help
    i have a similar problem using kubuntu

work around
    log out first then suspend the system

then when i wake the system i log back in and everything works ...
    Hope this helps . . . Steve ...
    Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, except bad news ...
    Shuttle XS35 - Intel Atom 1.6 - 4GB Ram - 500GB HDD - Linux Kubuntu

Beans

Re: Suspend completely freezes computer

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
    not sure if this is of help
    i have a similar problem using kubuntu

work around
    log out first then suspend the system

then when i wake the system i log back in and everything works ...
    I had a theory that it might have to do with enabling workspaces, because the first time it happend was shortly after enabling them. Any chance this might be the case with your Kubuntu?