Thread: Hello. Trying to change to new Wineprefix, but without any luck. (Wine 1.6.2)

Beans

Question Hello. Trying to change to new Wineprefix, but without any luck. (Wine 1.6.2)

Hello there. I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands and I was wondering if you guys could help me solve it.

A few days ago, I thought I'd download the free demos of a couple of games I'd been meaning to try, namely, BeamNG Drive and Bugbear's Next Car Game(okay, technically, they're demos). I was able to install them on Windows 8.1 without much trouble, but they are pretty darn slow on there, and given that Ubuntu's always been faster for me(I'm using 14.04/Trusty, btw), I thought I'd try it on Wine. Well, unfortunately, I've had a fair amount of trouble getting things to actually work.

First off, I discovered that both games just wouldn't load under the Wine I'd originally installed; it's a 64-bit version of 1.6.2, btw. So, having found some advice on the internet, both at AskUbuntu, and the official forums at BeamNG(and the Wine FAQ), I was, with a bit of difficulty(including one botched attempt), able to create a separate 32-bit Wineprefix(notice the absence of the x64 folder?):

However, my main trouble now, is, I'm having trouble making the 32-bit Wineprefix the default, so I can try to install these two games for Wine. Does anyone here know how to get Wine to load new prefixes? I'm at a bit of an impasse and I've had little luck elsewhere.

So, any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by SteveL1990; August 24th, 2014 at 07:40 PM.

Beans

Desperately need help.

I've also tried the advice offered on the Wine forums.....

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.p...p=96170#p96170

....and even that hasn't worked. Please, folks, I *desperately* need help on this.

Beans

Re: Hello. Trying to change to new Wineprefix, but without any luck. (Wine 1.6.2)

You could try this method.

First rename your ~/ .wine directory or you can delete it.

Then, create a new environment:

Code:
    $ WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
    To make a separate win32 and win64 environment:

Code:
    $ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/win32 winecfg 
    $ WINEPREFIX=~/win64 winecfg
    Then:

Code:
    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.config/wine/
    export WINEARCH=win32
    To create separate wineprefix for each game, you may try this method:

Code:
    export WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/wineBeamNG (or whatever name you like)
    winecfg
    cd /directory (the directory holding your installer)
    wine ./setup.exe
    Code:
    export WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/wineBugbear's (or whatever name you like)
    winecfg
    cd /directory (the directory holding your installer)
    wine ./setup.exe
    Hope this works for you. Good luck.
    Last edited by mozalmy; August 25th, 2014 at 07:27 AM.