Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about staying with Ubuntu 14.04

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Thinking about staying with Ubuntu 14.04

I have been seriously thinking about staying with Ubuntu 14.04 rather than upgrading to 14.10. 14.04 looks great and ever since the problem with my media files showing up right was fixed I honestly can not find anything wrong with it. I jumped around with a lot of different desktop environments and rolling releases for a while but finally realized I wanted stability above all.

I really do not have to do anything to Ubuntu 14.04 to have everything I want the way I want it and it has ran problem free for quite some time now. I like the default look and feel too, just tired of the same old blue and green most distros use. I always wanted the latest greatest applications and such but now it just seems like a waste of my time when everything already works like it should.

I really never though I would want to just stay with any release but 14.04 has me thinking otherwise. Am I the only one thinking like this? I have always wanted the latest greatest but 14.04 seems to have me content.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Thinking about staying with Ubuntu 14.04

This is a great review ! Thanks. I for one certainly understand the need for stability and Trusty certainly provides that. I live in an industrial area where I have access to a plethora of computer parts and pieces and currently run 3 KVMs in my Ubuntu Shack - so testing is not a problem for me because of the surplus of parts I have access to. Also , with high speed SATA 3 and SSDs it's a breeze to run a stable Trusty partition while also running the current development release on another.

The versatility of all the Ubuntu flavours and milestones presents us with a variety of options , both stable and exploratory.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's what LTS are for, you can stay 2 or 3 years on 14.04 if you wish before jumping to 16.04 for exemple. Personally I stick with the LTS releases because it focuses on performance and stability which means fewer bugs and crashes. They have been fully tested and features are usually not experimental. I mean why upgrading to a short term release when you have 4 years of support, including backported kernel updates? Unless you are the kind of user that likes to be on the cutting-edge of what Canonical Ubuntu has to offer, there is is really no point going for a release with only 9 months of maintenance.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; August 23rd, 2014 at 05:21 PM.

Beans

14.04 is the best Ubuntu release I have ever used! They really did a great job of refining Unity in this release too. Performance seems great especially since my hardware is not very high end these days. I have looked at 14.10 from the Live CD and just can not see anything to gain when 14.04 is working so well. Usually I want the latest greatest everything but 14.04 is so well built that I am content with it. I am not getting the least bit bored with 14.04 either!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The best one I think I ever used was 8.04 Hardy Heron.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I would be staying with 14.04 but online upgrades seem to work very well for me, so as long as they continue to, i think i will be rolling into each new 6 month version...

Mark Shuttleworth did say that after convergence, he would like to see the 6 month release eliminated and replaced with a kind of semi-rolling version with a stable core which would only get new stuff and apps WHEN they are actually ready (unlike the way development works)...then of course, the need for upgrading would be eliminated (except for the LTS version of course where the option of upgrading every 2 years would remain)...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 23rd, 2014 at 07:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I like to play with different distros. But that isn't compatible with having a useable computer. So when a new LTS comes out, I play around a lot, until I settle on one I like best. Then I have a few years of stability.
    Windows crossed the line first.
    It squeezed me, it hammered me to the point of desperation.
    And in my desperation I turned to an OS I didn't fully understand.
    With respect, sir, perhaps this is an OS that *you* don't fully understand.

Beans

I have had great results upgrading in the past, never had a problem. The support on 14.04 has been so good though and Unity is very usable now. Now I compare other distros to 14.04 with Unity and find them lacking in one way or another. The problems I originally had have been resolved and Unity seems great on both my laptop and desktop, the length of support is great too!

I just recently put 14.04 back on my 500 GB Western Digital SATA Green drive, I had been running it on a 320 GB Western Digital Blue drive, it makes this old system seem like new again! I like my hardware even if it is older because it is so Linux compatible. I took a Compaq mother board out of a broken case and installed it in a modern HP case, it looks really nice! I am only running a core 2 duo @ 1.8 GHz with 4 GB of DDR 2 RAM, not very powerful by todays standards.

I used to always want the latest greatest hardware and software, now I am content with something that is working really well. I do not have any budget for computer parts these days and I enjoy seeing how long I can keep my machines running nice without spending any money on them. Ubuntu 14.04 is like having insurance that my computer will remain useful for some time. We have more powerful computers in the house but since I do not play games I stick with the lower spec machine.

All of the computers in my house are running 14.04 with the exception of my Wife's gaming rig that runs Windows 7. My kid's love 14.04 and have never had any problems at all with it. My Wife happily ran 14.04 until she decided to play WOW again. My oldest daughter thought 14.04 was excellent and she uses a Macbook Pro! The developers did such a fine job refining Unity in 14.04, the screen lock, ability to have the menus in the title bar etc that it is a real pleasure to use now!

I liked Gnome Shell but they keep adding things and taking things away that I want. Sure, I can use extensions but why bother when Unity has everything I want already there? It sounds trivial but I prefer the Ubuntu color scheme over anything else too, never thought I would say that but it really looks good to me! The developers fixed the bug with media files showing up in the lenses and I have been happy ever since.

I have no concerns of breakage or bugs on 14.04, updates have been great! I also collect music and videos, I can relax and enjoy them now rather than spending time fixing things. My music collection has really gotten refined by staying with the LTS. The things I really want upgrades for like Firefox, get updated and the rest of my applications are serving me well just the way they are. The grass always looks greener on the other side and new versions of applications can mean new bugs. Why worry about something that is doing everything I want in the first place?

This is the first time I have ever thought about staying with a release!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post
    The problems I originally had have been resolved and Unity seems great on both my laptop and desktop
    You may like Unity. Someone else may hate Unity. But since it's not an essential part of 14.04, we don't have to judge the entire release based on that particular DE. I did notice that Unity is easier to use in 14.04 than when first released in 10.10. When that happened there was wailing and gnashing of teeth. But there are other desktop environments available for 14.04; some of them are traditional PC desktops (Xfce, LXDE), or somewhere in-between (Cinnamon, MATE). Since I'm not using a notebook I opt-out of Unity. Since I'm using a computer I got literally for free because it was being thrown away, I use Lubuntu, to squeeze every last drop of performance out of hardware that is old enough to go to school.
    Windows crossed the line first.
    It squeezed me, it hammered me to the point of desperation.
    And in my desperation I turned to an OS I didn't fully understand.
    With respect, sir, perhaps this is an OS that *you* don't fully understand.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by fireflower View Post
    But there are other desktop environments available for 14.04; some of them are traditional PC desktops (Xfce, LXDE), or somewhere in-between (Cinnamon, MATE). Since I'm not using a notebook I opt-out of Unity. Since I'm using a computer I got literally for free because it was being thrown away, I use Lubuntu, to squeeze every last drop of performance out of hardware that is old enough to go to school.
    +1

As far as I know Xubuntu 14.04 is very stable too, I mean I've used it for about 3 months with virtually no glitch. So yeah 14.04 as a basis is rock solid. Lubuntu 14.04 did not enjoy the same success though, the release was marred in my view with the famous wifi icon bug and typing issues with Chromium. For it's first LTS it certainly wasn't a good start. But to be fair Lubuntu does not have the same dev team as Ubuntu and Xubuntu have. Thankfully things got fixed in 14.04.1 so it's now my DE of choice on older hardware.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; August 23rd, 2014 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast