Thread: Repairing Windows XP - new motherboard - dual-boot with Ubuntu

Beans

Question Repairing Windows XP - new motherboard - dual-boot with Ubuntu

I'm having a similar problems...but not the same. Had to buy a new system into which I inserted my HDD with WinXp/Ubuntu dual boot. Needless to say Ubuntu sliped seamlessly into new Mobo. WinXP has problems. I've tried to repair it using my WinXP installation disc, but at the stage where it has reloaded all the installation files the instruction is that the system will reboot and the reinstallation/repair will take place. But I come straight into grub.
    I don't have any problems with reinstalling grub or the MBR, I've had to do this a few times in the past. Any ideas on what I can do here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Repairing Windows XP - new motherboard - dual-boot with Ubuntu

Posting to an old thread marked as solved, particularly one not about your specific problem, will hardly you get you any attention. Therefore, moved to own thread, thread renamed, and...

Thread moved to Other Operating Systems and Projects.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm afraid that Windows thinks that it is a new computer, and that you have to make a new installation. I think that you can mount the Windows partition from Ubuntu and backup all the important personal files to an external disk. Please remember also that XP has passed end of life, and you cannot expect that updating / upgrading will work correctly.

Beans

Yes...windows is rather stupid, isn't it. Had to install new ubuntu and then virtual box.