Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bash Script

Beans

Re: Bash Script

Here's what I'd do

Create a simple bash script somewhere with only the administrative commands you want to execute e.g.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

add-apt-repository ppa:Repository
    apt-get update
    apt-get install package
    I created a directory in my home directory called 'scripts' and put it there, but the exact location doesn't matter. Mark it as executable, either through the file manager or from a terminal using 'chmod'

Code:
    chmod +x /path/to/myscript
    Now right-click on the Xubuntu desktop and select 'Create launcher...' and enter the 'Command' as

Code:
    gksu /path/to/myscript
    Give it a name and add a comment about what the script does, and check the 'Run in terminal' box. After that, you should be able to run it by double-clicking the launcher, at which point 'gksu' will pop up a dialog box for you to enter your password and then run the script in a terminal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes that work fine steeldriver--thanks. I will do that. I wonder why it does not work when you run the same script without the launcher?
    “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by garyzw View Post
    Code:
    xfce4-terminal -e "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bhdouglass/indicator-remindor" 

sudo apt-get update && apt-get install indicator-remindor
    Which brings up the Terminal and asks for the password I enter the password and it adds the ppa but won't go on past that to apt-get update && apt-get install indicator-remindor.
    I wonder why it does not work when you run the same script without the launcher?
    Because you did not read carefully what the other users wrote.
    The following (amended) one-liner
    Code:
    xfce4-terminal  -e "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bhdouglass/indicator-remindor  && apt-get update && apt-get install indicator-remindor"
    would (IMHO) work, because sudo is (in general) remembered when used in same terminal session (or as the pros would put it "in same tty", i. e. /dev/pts/<id>).
    The gist of it is that you have to put ALL three commands in those quotes, because xfce4-terminal will cause anything else following that to be sent to /dev/null.
    Last edited by syntaxerror74; August 22nd, 2014 at 03:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by syntaxerror74 View Post
    Because you did not read carefully what the other users wrote.

Code:
    xfce4-terminal  -e "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bhdouglass/indicator-remindor  && apt-get update && apt-get install indicator-remindor"
    would (IMHO) work, because sudo is (in general) remembered when used in same terminal session (or as the pros would put it "in same tty", i. e. /dev/pts/<id>).
    The gist of it is that you have to put ALL three commands in those quotes, because xfce4-terminal won't be able to execute anything else beyond that.
    Yes i read what others wrote and also tried that it again in a script and it did not work. It opens the Termnial I enter the password then the Terminal closes--no pressing enter to add ppa

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by garyzw View Post
    Yes i read what others wrote and also tried that it again in a script and it did not work. It opens the Termnial I enter the password then the Terminal closes--no pressing enter to add ppa
    Did you try with an additional bash command? It works for me.

Code:
    xterm -hold -e bash -c "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bhdouglass/indicator-remindor  && apt-get update && apt-get install indicator-remindor"
    From
    Code:
    man bash
    Code:
           -c string
                     If  the -c option is present, then commands are read from string.  If there are argu‐
                     ments after the string, they are assigned to the positional parameters, starting with
                     $0.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Don't you also need sudo on the commands after the && operator when they require root privileges?

This doesn't work here:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
    The first command works, but the second is executed without root privileges.

This does work:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik1984 View Post
    Don't you also need sudo on the commands after the && operator when they require root privileges?

This doesn't work here:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
    The first command works, but the second is executed without root privileges.

This does work:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Good catch Erik

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I wonder what is the purpose of adding a ppa/repo in a script.... this is typically something you do once for all.
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    I wonder what is the purpose of adding a ppa/repo in a script.... this is typically something you do once for all.
    I have several computers with Xubuntu and having a script with mutilple ppa/repo's is very handy if you install multiple programs on different computers it makes it easy. Also if for what every reason I need to re-install I can have a script with all my installed programs and ppa/repo's to quickly re-install them after a fresh install.

The following is the code that worked perfectly Thanks to Pilosopong Tasyo who helped me with this.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# if this script was not launched from a terminal, restart it from a terminal

if [[ ! -t 0 && -x /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator ]]; then
       /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator -e "bash -c \"$0 $*; read -s -p 'Press enter to close...'\""
       exit
    fi

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:repo
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install package

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You're welcome, garyzw (I'm P.T. from the other forum BTW).
    Give a man a ghoti, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to ghoti, and he'll eat for life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12