Thread: Can not get time settings to remain persistant anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Can not get time settings to remain persistant anymore.

My Desktop machine is ~ 6-7 years old. I use Xubuntu 12.04.

In the last week, my time will not remain to what it should be.

I think my original "one" platter disk needs to be replaced, as it is now having trouble at first, on new booting with errors, to find the Xubuntu 12.04 partition. If I have some time soon, I will replace it; I am setting up a different partitioning schemata and it is not quite finished with the testing for it. (sym-linking to a data partition, rather than separate home partitions).

So, with the time and date, I have to manually correct them, each new new day during boot up in BIOS, when I start the computer and then have to go to "Time and Date Settings" and change it to the correct date and time. I have tried syncing in Configuration of Time and Date Settings to Internet Servers (hasn't helped) but, as my computer isn't on all the time, I now just set to manual settings each day.

I get all sort of different times and dates initially, that have to be changed each time.

So, what do you folks think?

- Failing battery in the desktop machine?

- Symptom of failing HD?

- Other possibilities, I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

Oh, I still have Ubuntu 10.04 on the system, with grub being attached to it, waiting for me to delete it. I don't use the OS anymore, it just sits there waiting for me to back up the data, to the new temporary data partition on my backup ext. HD, and delete it before I swap out the internal drive, though I do the backport updates/upgrades/dist-upgrades for it regularly). I have no other OS's, than those two, on the system now! And yes, the ~ partitions for both OS's are backed up to the ext. HD, if the internal disk does fail, before I can attend to it.
    Last edited by mikodo; August 22nd, 2014 at 12:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Can not get time settings to remain persistant anymore.

Do you have a volt meter? Take the battery and measure the voltage. It's voltage should be close to 3V, if not, then it's time to replace it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can not get time settings to remain persistant anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    Do you have a volt meter? Take the battery and measure the voltage. It's voltage should be close to 3V, if not, then it's time to replace it.
    Thanks, but I don't have the meter, but I guess I can buy one.