I manually installed eclipse luna (actually e(fx)clipse AinO package) on my Ubuntu 14.04 based on these instuctions that I have found on the net:
But I am not sure about #6 part. I guess $USER means the root, right?
- Extract the eclipse.XX.YY.tar.gz using
tar -zxvf eclipse.XX.YY.tar.gz
- Become root and Copy the extracted folder to /opt
sudo mv eclipse.XX.YY /opt
- Create a desktop file and install it:
and copy the following to the eclipse.desktop file.
Exec=env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0 eclipse44
Comment=Integrated Development Environment
then execute the following command to automatically install it in the unity:
- Create a symlink in /usr/local/bin using
ln -s /opt/eclipse/eclipse /usr/local/bin/eclipse44
- For eclipse icon to be displayed in dash, eclipse icon can be added as
cp /opt/eclipse/icon.xpm /usr/share/pixmaps/eclipse.xpm
- Give eclipse the required permissions to modify the osgi file.
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /opt/eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi
And would this be enough for the eclipse installation?
I've been asking this around on Eclipse forum, but seems nobody there knows|cares
(By the way I am a one-month-old new Ubuntu user, Nice to meet you all )