Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brasero

Beans

Brasero

I am trying to burn a bootable .iso file with Brasero.

I selected Image to disk, but everytime I burn the file it just puts the file on the disk. It doesn't actually burn/expand the .iso file to it.

( If any of that makes sense )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Brasero

I always use the Ubuntu File Manager (nautilus). I select the ISO image and right click it and then from the menu I select Write to Disc. A dialog will appear and if you have a DVD disc in the drive it will be recognised. If there is already data on the disc you will be asked to confirm to blank the disc. File Manager does the job for me.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

From personal experience, I'd use almost anything other than Brasero. It's buggy. There are plenty of other disc burning programs available in the software center. Xubuntu came with xfburn and I've not had a problem with it (in my admittedly limited usage) thus far. I have no idea why some distros include that program other than the distro builders don't actually use it to build disks and therefore don't realize its flaws.
    Last edited by Sanctimonious_Ape; August 20th, 2014 at 05:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I use to find Brasero buggy, but it has a new maintainer now and it's been working fine for me since 13.10 as well as my current 14.04 install....

Although one thing that is important to do is to go to the brasero menu and under "edit" select plug ins and be sure to uncheck the two "checksum" plug ins...by doing so, it will burn isos in the normal amount of time....if you leave them checked, it takes like forever!

Try doing that...not sure if it will help your problem though i often burn isos with Brasero exactly as you have been trying to do and it works fine for me...I select Burn Image on the Brasero menu, then add the image and set the speed to slowest burning (for best results with an iso)....

if you can't get it to work then you might try installing XF Burn and use that instead...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 20th, 2014 at 05:36 PM.

Beans

Beans

I'm new to Linux in the past couple months (but not new to PCs by a loonnngggg shot, even have some years of UNIX experience from a decade ago), so I'm not referring to old versions. I tried building a disk in Brasero that contained 4.2xGiB of data (a DVD-R should hold 4.37GiB), but it wouldn't let me burn it because it insisted my 4.7GB of files were too big for the disk. It was pretty obvious to me that it was confusing GiB (base2, the way computers really count and thus how it should be done) and base10 (the way humans count, and something hard drive manufacturers forced upon us in the '90s when we started having Gigabyte-sized drives because it made their drives sound larger than they actually were - this is why my "1TB" hard drive is really 932GiB).

Brasero would have me waste several hundred MiB of space per disk due to its poor programming in confusing these counting methods.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctimonious_Ape View Post
    I'm new to Linux in the past couple months (but not new to PCs by a loonnngggg shot, even have some years of UNIX experience from a decade ago), so I'm not referring to old versions. I tried building a disk in Brasero that contained 4.2xGiB of data (a DVD-R should hold 4.37GiB), but it wouldn't let me burn it because it insisted my 4.7GB of files were too big for the disk. It was pretty obvious to me that it was confusing GiB (base2, the way computers really count and thus how it should be done) and base10 (the way humans count, and something hard drive manufacturers forced upon us in the '90s when we started having Gigabyte-sized drives because it made their drives sound larger than they actually were - this is why my "1TB" hard drive is really 932GiB).

Brasero would have me waste several hundred MiB of space per disk due to its poor programming in confusing these counting methods.
    It's not just Brasero, it also effects Nautilus. I needed to make a 12.04.1 CD last night and couldn't:

file_size.jpg

But actual size is small enough:

Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ cd Downloads/Ubuntu
    lance@lance-desktop:~/Downloads/Ubuntu$ ls -lah
    total 11G
    drwxrwxr-x  2 lance lance 4.0K Aug 20 13:19 .
    drwxr-xr-x 12 lance lance 4.0K Aug 19 18:21 ..
    -rw-r--r--  1 lance lance 744M Jul 18 02:27 precise-desktop-amd64.iso
    -rw-------  1 lance lance 756M Aug  7 21:12 precise-desktop-i386.iso
    -rw-------  1 lance lance 980M Jul 22 07:16 trusty-desktop-i386.iso
    -rw-r--r--  1 lance lance 696M May 21 12:07 ubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso
    -rw-rw-r--  1 lance lance 693M Aug 19 18:47 ubuntu-12.04.1-alternate-i386.iso
    -rw-------  1 lance lance 696M Aug 17  2012 ubuntu-12.04.1-desktop-i386.iso
    -rw-------  1 lance lance 695M Feb 13  2013 ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso
    -rw-------  1 lance lance 987M Jul 22 22:38 ubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.iso
    -rw-------  1 lance lance 964M Apr 17 01:35 ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso
    -rw-------  1 lance lance 970M Apr 17 01:37 ubuntu-14.04-desktop-i386.iso
    -rw-------  1 lance lance 1.1G Aug  8 08:21 utopic-desktop-i386.iso
    -rw-------  1 lance lance 1.1G Jul 27 08:20 utopic-desktop-i386.iso.zs-old
    It also effected Xfburn

I had to settle for using a netboot image.

There is a very old bug report regarding that but I can't find it.

Beans

Sorry, you're right - it wasn't xfburn I used last, it was k3b. KDE always was more Windows-like, but it's become a little too heavy-feeling for my old laptop - k3b works fine under Xubuntu and Lubuntu, just needs to install a bunch of dependencies (including the needless nepomuk).

Beans

I'm not an experienced Linux user, but when I tried to use Bracero, which is bundled with a lot of Linux distros, I was surprised by how bad it is. I did a little research and quickly downloaded and installed K3b, burned the ISO I needed and moved on. I'm not sure why anyone uses Bracero. Perhaps it has some hidden usefulness that I missed, but I found K3b to be easy to use and reliable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ellisf2 View Post
    I'm not an experienced Linux user, but when I tried to use Bracero, which is bundled with a lot of Linux distros, I was surprised by how bad it is. I did a little research and quickly downloaded and installed K3b, burned the ISO I needed and moved on. I'm not sure why anyone uses Bracero. Perhaps it has some hidden usefulness that I missed, but I found K3b to be easy to use and reliable.
    Brasero is bundled in sessions like GNOME/Unity/etc. that use the GTK renderers (except XFCE/LXDE, as they come with lighter burning tools) because it uses the GTK toolkit, unlike k3b, which is specifically made for KDE (even though it works fine under GTK renderers)

As for the bug, I can't reproduce it on my system. It expands the image on my case.
    Last edited by Jonathan Precise; August 21st, 2014 at 04:01 PM.
    -Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast