Hello All!

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to look this over.

I am completely and totally new to ubuntu. I started using it in attempt to retrieve my personal files from my damaged iMac. Because the iMac is damaged, it does not turn on, I do not have all the details about what it is. I do, however, know that it is a mid-2007 iMac that used to be Mountain Lion (when it actually turned on). Long story short my computer died and nothing I've tried thus fair has been able to allow it to boot. Until now. I have been able to boot it from a CD version of ubuntu, in an effort to save my files I chose "try" instead of "install".

I am attempting to move all my personal files from the damaged mac hard drive to an portable external usb hard drive formatted with FAT32 and MBR. I have tested moving random newly created ubuntu word files onto this and it works without issue.

I can see the old hard drive (MyName) and can open folder level items only. However, the folders containing my personal files produce the following error message when opened: "The folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of 'examplefolder'".

I tried to get around this by just copying the folders without trying to open them and get the following error: "Error while copying. The folder "examplefolder" cannot be handled because you do not have permissions to read it."

Now I've read a few threads with similar issues, however they have tended to get so jargon heavy that I cannot follow how to fix it. If anyone would be so kind as to help me out with as many details as possible it would be MUCH MUCH appreciated.

Thanks again!