Thread: Tutorial/Help Programming a Widget in Python (or recommended language)

Beans

Tutorial/Help Programming a Widget in Python (or recommended language)

Hello all,

I want to develop a customized widget to use on my Ubuntu Desktop. I have not been able to find any tutorials or programming discussions on this topic. I have seen a few pages on making Javascript widgets for websites, but I would like to develop mine to use on my desktop. I am currently using Ubuntu 14.04 and Gnome shell if that makes a different and was wondering if anyone may know a place to start with tutorials on coding the Widget. I have a minimal understanding of python and a few other languages. Most of my actual coding has been done in Bash and a few years ago in C++. I started learning Python at one point but got caught up in school and would still consider myself a beginner. I have never done something like a widget before and maybe it is above my skill level but that's one reason I'd like to learn. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (including if you think that I should use a different programming language)

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Tutorial/Help Programming a Widget in Python (or recommended language)

A quick update. So I'm a huge fan of Sword Art Online (the show) and I am trying to make widgets/applets that will look similar to the designs used in the show. It has already been done on Windows but I would like to create my own for Linux. Basically what I am looking to make will be built off of already existing widget ideas (Ram, processor monitors etc.) and widgets that link to applications. The only difference is that I want to make them look like items from the show. here is a picture of what my goals look like but in Windows:

http://i49.tinypic.com/5a0rgp.png