Thread: Some links open a new tab automatically.

Beans

Some links open a new tab automatically.

Hi,

A lot of links (Quick Links for example) automatically open a new tab in the browser now.

I don't like this. Is there a way to turn it off? I want the forum to stay in one tab unless I deliberately open a link in a new tab.

I've tried this on several browsers and several operating systems. I don't see a setting in the browsers or in the forum software, and I checked other forums and they don't do it.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Some links open a new tab automatically.

experimenting ...

I've changed all internal forum links to go back to opening in the same tab, all external links will continue to open in a new tab

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Personally, I'd much rather the internal links open in another tab. For example when quoting from the C of C, it's more of a hassle moving back and forth in the same tab, than it is having two tabs open one with C of C and another with the editor open.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    experimenting ...

I've changed all internal forum links to go back to opening in the same tab, all external links will continue to open in a new tab
    that doesn't exclude us from experimenting again though, 1 swallow does not a summer make

Beans

When the default is to open in the same tab, you can always use your browser's modification keys or right click to open in a new tab. There is no browser feature to facilitate staying in the same tab.

Likewise, pretty much every forum I have used for years has behaved in the 'single tab' mode. This includes what non-technical people would call a forum such as Facebook, twitter, gmail, <your-favorite-webmail>, pretty much everything. I design web applications, if you're staying in the same login session the default best practice is to stay in the same tab.

Thanks.

Beans

Oh yeah. Opening an external link, best practice is to put it in a new tab. Or in other words, if you're moving outside of your webapp session, you should a new tab.

Thanks much, this is much better.