Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would i install a password at startup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: How would i install a password at startup

Quote Originally Posted by nwpll View Post
    Hi Grahammechanical

I don't know what i did but when i use the terminal it asks for a password but not at startup. When i switch on it just goes to my desktop screen. What i want is when i switch on i am asked for a password.

Peter
    So you know that (sudo) password?
    The login password will be the same.

For Ubuntu Unity:type user in the dash and open user accounts.Click unlock .Enter your password (the one you use in terminal) and set the automatic login slider to off.
    14.10 amd64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Setting a login password isn't going to stop someone from being able to read the data on your hard disk. As was mentioned you'll need to encrypt any sensitive data; or remove the hard disk before taking it to the shop if that's feasible.

Beans

Perhaps I don't understand correctly (not the first time, definetly not the last! ) - but if it's going in for repairs, what is wrong with it? How will they know if your hard disk or something in your configuration is causing a problem?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dave131 View Post
    Perhaps I don't understand correctly (not the first time, definetly not the last! ) - but if it's going in for repairs, what is wrong with it? How will they know if your hard disk or something in your configuration is causing a problem?
    HI Dave

An part of the screen on the left hand side is blank and for that reason i am putting it into a repair shop. Also because i can't use Unity i am using the Cairo-dock as i have set it up just how i want.

After the screen is fitted and switched on it should then be able to boot to the login screen and that's enough for the repair shop. My business data is not sensitive as i own a Spice company and i also live in Portugal so Language also is an issue.

Using Cairo i can't find any User Setting or User account and that's where i am stuck it seems that Cairo doesn't show all the setting etc that Unity does.

Peter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I believe the command to open the System Settings from the command line is:
    Code:
    unity-control-center

Beans

Is this currently set up as auto logon and what you want is instead to have the login prompt? If so, go to "User Accounts" and it will show your user. On that screen turn off auto login.

Beans

Hi Ubudog and Dave

With both your help i now have to put my password in when i switch my laptop on.

Thanks for the valuable help you have been to me.

Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12