Thread: I need a trusted link for dual-booting ubuntu, i have a win 8.1 64bit

Beans

Red face I need a trusted link for dual-booting ubuntu, i have a win 8.1 64bit

i have a win. 8.1 Pro 64bit, i want to dual-boot it with ubuntu, i need a trusted tutorial which describes step by step (earlier-disasters-made-me-nervous)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I need a trusted link for dual-booting ubuntu, i have a win 8.1 64bit

Oldfred's UEFI Installing tips should be a good starting point for you, at least.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

1. Make free space on your HDD using Windows partitioning tools - do NOT use GParted to do that.
    2. Boot from Live CD or USB.
    3. When you click on Install now, the setup utility won't see Windows. Don't worry - use the "Something Else" option.
    4. Install Grub on the EFI Partition (use the Discs tool wwhen booted up in the Live CD/USB to determine which partition is the EFI partition)

You should be good to go.

Beans
    Hidden!

There is an excellent guide to installing, thugh not specifically with Win8 at http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/u...all-guide.html

Have a good read through and be prepared to ask more questions; I don't use windows any more, so can't really help any more on that, but I do have Xubuntu 12.04.5 running brilliantly on a UEFI system. Do not be afraid of IEFI either, as there is plenty of info on that, starting with the ubuntu page at UEFI - Ubuntu Documentation
    Last edited by ajgreeny; August 18th, 2014 at 08:22 PM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Before you start - always defrag the disk in Windows - whether it says it needs it or not - at least twice. Then backup any and everything you might need in case things get all messed up.

Beans

thank you all

Beans

And a really important thing to remember: if you need to shrink an existing partition to make room for Ubuntu, always use the Windows tools to do so before starting the Ubuntu install. I believe if you search (in Windows 8) for administrative tools and/or disk management that should come up. Reboot the PC (it may require more that once) to be sure Windows "knows" the disk has shrunk and can still access the file system. If you need any specific help on any of this - from defragging the disk, shrinking a partition, to specific help on any given step of the install just ask. It's best to say "I'm at xxxx and need to know what to do" or some such thing. If you need step-by-step for this there are guides, some of which have been pointed to.

Since this is Windows 8, DO read the links already posted to oldfred's information on UEFI (it will be the default with Windows 8). The main points there will be to go into the BIOS setup and turn off secure boot and, if an option, fast boot.