Thread: Best weather indicator

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Best weather indicator

What are the best or favorite weather apps, applets, indicators available for Ubuntu 14.04? Preferably something with a small, unobtrusive icon that fits nicely in the gnome panel (flashback).

I had a nice indicator in 12.04 but I don't remember what it was called anymore and after upgrading to 14.04 it is gone. It showed an icon for sunny/cloudy/rainy/etc with the temperature printed next to it. clicking on it popped up a window with more detailed information. Surely something like this exists for 14.04?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Best weather indicator

For a panel indicator install my-weather-indicator
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Thanks! I actually just finished installing my-weather-indicator and I'm really impressed with the range of information, maps, weather evolution option, and the overall quality of the indicator.

Out of habit, I would just like to put the taskbar icon centered on the gnome panel independent of other notification applets/icons. Is this possible?

The only other indicator I found is indicator-weather, but I did not even get to install it as the PPAs gave 404 errors when doing "sudo apt-get update". http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/insta...-with-new.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Last build in the indicator-weather ppa was for saucy.
    Much the same as the one you have installed anyway.

The my-weather-indicator is a unity style indicator and as such is shown in the indicator applet complete for gnome-panel.
    You can only position the applet not individual indicators shown within the applet.

Beans
    Distro

Would it be possible to have a second, independent indicator applet complete populated only with my-weather-indicator and centered on gnome-panel?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No because you can't configure the order or what's shown for each individual applet..
    It will just be a duplicate.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, thanks, CantankRus.

I believe we have a winner. my-weather-indicator is the best and seemingly only weather indicator. For the purpose of this thread, I'll consider this SOLVED.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    Ok, thanks, CantankRus.

I believe we have a winner. my-weather-indicator is the best and seemingly only weather indicator. For the purpose of this thread, I'll consider this SOLVED.
    Unfortunately, my-weather-indicator does not work in China, probably because of the Great China Firewall.
    The program does not even open up to set its preferences.
    I had indicator-weather running on 14.04 before I did a fresh install with 64 bit. Its ppa throws a 404, now.

That means, there is no weather indicator for Ubuntu which can be used in China. (Possibly with the exception of a Chinese only weather app which I cannot read)

I just tried with the deb of indicator-weather and pywapi which I downloaded from its website. It is a little complicated, but it works with 14.04 64 bit in China (I set the weather source to Yahoo).
    Last edited by hako1; May 7th, 2015 at 01:13 PM.