Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I put Ubuntu on a crashed machine?

Beans

Re: How do I put Ubuntu on a crashed machine?

On the first boot screen there should be a note usually in the bottom right that will tell you which key to use for what. IE use X for boot menu and Y for setup. if you use the boot menu you can boot from either dvd or usb with out going into setup and changing the order. Unless you have to change the secure boot setting. if so just do both at once.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans

And this is an offer open only to you - so others please don't ask: if you are in the U.S. and can't get access to the disk, let me know and I'll burn one and send it to you. Since it is/was a Windows 8 machine it has to be 64-bit (at least as far as I know) so I'll burn the 64-bit version unless you want the 32-bit instead.

Unless this was one of the really inexpensive machines it should already have an optical drive. As long as the optical drive is working I would use it. If that fails then try USB. It may still require going into your BIOS in changing the boot order so the optical drive is first. As already mentioned, there are various keys depending on the manufacturer and the BIOS maker for getting to your set up. Some of the more common ones are the DEL key, the DELETE key and lastly F2. As previously mentioned, when you turn on the laptop it might show some line on how to do this - it will come quick. Some manufacturers hide this from the user and instead have instructions for getting to the BIOS in their user guide or on online help.

But as already mentioned, the first thing to know is why it crashed before doing any more work. Does the machine power on? Does it go through boot but get some error when Windows tries to boot? What messages do you get?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by dave131 View Post
    there are various keys depending on the manufacturer and the BIOS maker for getting to your set up. Some of the more common ones are the DEL key, the DELETE key and lastly F2. As previously mentioned, when you turn on the laptop it might show some line on how to do this - it will come quick. Some manufacturers hide this from the user and instead have instructions for getting to the BIOS in their user guide or on online help
    Just adding to this, I've used a machine recently where to even get to the BIOS you had to ESCAPE the boot menu, DELETE, and then SPACEBAR, then select BIOS from a list of options. Definitely look online for your computer's make and model to find out how to get to the BIOS.
    Currently running: elementary Freya. Have experience in Ubuntu up to 14.04. (Started in 8.04)
    Student. Reader. Writer. Theatre-goer. I poke around in Linux from time to time, too.
    2.16Ghz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12