Thread: Virtualbox Win7 guest, 14.04 host, printer doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Virtualbox Win7 guest, 14.04 host, printer doesn't work

Hi,

I have installed Win7 in a VirtualBox and am trying to install my Canon LBP-5050 printer. Trouble is, Win7 reports that the device has malfunctioned and was deactivated. On the same host, in a WinXP guest, the printer works. Also, on a Win8 laptop, it works. Is there anything with Win7 and USB in Virtualbox that I need to consider additionally? I tried a few other devices, e.g. a bluetooth stick and those worked.

-S
    Linux user since 1997, reg'd Linux User #247167, quote: "GUI? Great, I can open multiple console windows side by side!"
    Specialties: Network / security / communications, Asterisk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Virtualbox Win7 guest, 14.04 host, printer doesn't work

USB for a printer inside a VM? Why?

I'd setup the printer on the Linux hostOS and use it as a print server. Much easier, plus it will work for portable device printing too. https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/cups.html you can even setup samba with it to let printer drivers for Windows automatically install.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Because the LBP-5050 doesn't seem to work with 14.04. Gutenprint has no driver and the Canon drivers don't work. I'd love to have this printer running at the server in the kitchen instead of the living room because it's huge... But doesn't work.
    Linux user since 1997, reg'd Linux User #247167, quote: "GUI? Great, I can open multiple console windows side by side!"
    Specialties: Network / security / communications, Asterisk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sgofferj View Post
    Because the LBP-5050 doesn't seem to work with 14.04. Gutenprint has no driver and the Canon drivers don't work. I'd love to have this printer running at the server in the kitchen instead of the living room because it's huge... But doesn't work.
    Understood. That sucks.
    Is https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ca..._13.10_Install
    what you tried? Where was the failure?

I expect my printer(s) and scanner to stop working with 14.04 too. They aren't Canon. If necessary, I'll setup a tiny, tiny, 1204 VM to be the network print server with 256MB of RAM and no GUI. We don't print much at all, but scanning needs to work a few times a month over the network.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I expect my printer(s) and scanner to stop working with 14.04 too. They aren't Canon. If necessary, I'll setup a tiny, tiny, 1204 VM to be the network print server with 256MB of RAM and no GUI. We don't print much at all, but scanning needs to work a few times a month over the network.
    I just posted a similar suggestion on another thread as a possible solution for getting a Lexmark printer to work, although I suggested a WinXP VM isolated from the web but available on the LAN, as a way to use the Windows drivers and still get the printer to work for all the Linux installations...

Do great minds think alike?
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

... I could solve the Win7 guest's USB printer problem by using a WinXP guest. Please see here for full story:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post13110116
    Last edited by fidelis2; August 28th, 2014 at 04:42 PM.

Beans

Canon LBP5050 uses the CAPT driver

sgofferj has a distinguished CV on his post; I acknowledge all that;

the LBP5050 should work fine on a 32bit ubuntu; with the 64bit, Canon document various extra files that need to be installed in their extensive readme.txt

sudo apt-get install libglade2 libpopt0:i386 ia32-libs
    simplest is to accept a 32bit system; it may for some be a choice between 32bit and working printer; the issues seem to be with cutting edge distros: Fedora and Ubuntu;

the LBP5050 uses the CNCUPSLBP5050CAPTK.ppd