Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange notice not seen before

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Strange notice not seen before

That worked!!! I selected the image with the lowest number, linux-image-3.13.0-24.47, had complete removal. That freed up the necessary space.

The synaptic trick is a good one, but I have been burned by it too! You might see my other post in which I used synaptic and my Grub2 wiped out and replace with some very old version, 1.99 and it kind of screwed my system. However, I suspect that perhaps some of the screwed up state might also be contributed by a failing computer. I am now in the market for a new machine that is preloaded with Windows (7 or 8) on which I can also install Ubuntu along side it. That, unfortunately, seems also fraught with difficulties due to bugs in the Ubuntu installer. I don't need this drama

I think I will use synaptic to clear out some of those older versions. It is too bad that the magicians at Canonical can't devise such a tool.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes, synaptic is great, but if the package system is already in an inconsistent state apt-get or the software centre might refuse to install it right now. That is suggested by the not working apt-get autoremove command, although not confirmed by dpkg --list. So if you can install synaptic, that would be good. Else, read on.

The dpkg command will uninstall all old kernels whose version numbers you fill in for <something>. So I think you can use dpkg to uninstall
    Code:
    linux-image-3.13.0-24
    linux-image-3.13.0-27
    linux-image-extra-3.13.0-24
    linux-image-extra-3.13.0-27
    et cetera
    Just keep your current kernel and the one before for now, which are version 3.13.0-32 and 3.13.0-33 (I assume). That should free enough space.
    (OK, kernel 3.13. In my previous post I mistakenly wrote 3.2, which is for 12.04)

As in
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-3.13.0-24

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When I run that command I get the following warning:
    Code:
    dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove linux-image-3.13.0-27 which isn't installed
    Any ideas?

The synaptic approach did work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by RedRat View Post
    When I run that command I get the following warning:
    Code:
    dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove linux-image-3.13.0-27 which isn't installed
    Any ideas?

The synaptic approach did work.
    You can ignore that error; it's not actually an error but is telling you that version was removed already in some way.

Having now got synaptic, it is worth checking every so often to see how many kernels you've got and removing all but the two most recent. I do that after every kernel upgrade that appears in upgrades.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@RedRat, hopefully you have managed to make some room in your /boot partition, but it would be helpful if you could confirm something. Another forum admin and I have been discussing the fact that threads for help because of too-small boot partitions are becoming common and we were looking into whether there was anything we could do about this. I was distracted by encryption, so I wasn't clear before, so I apologise for that and I also needed to check something out. Please have a look at this new screenshot and compare it to the one in my post #5 which you have already responded to.

Did you perhaps choose LVM without encryption? (You may have seen more choices before the encrypt and LVM choices - I was presenting the installer in both cases with a blank drive.) The reason I ask is that this:

Quote Originally Posted by RedRat View Post
    df -h
    Code:
    Filesystem                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root  453G  8.8G  421G   3% /
    <snip>
    Specifically "/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root", is what you get when you choose LVM with or without encryption. And the problem is that the installer creates a separate /boot partition of slightly under 256MB, which quickly gets filled up, if you choose LVM with or without encryption.

A bug has been raised:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1357093

Unfortunately, Elfy and I were both focussed on encryption when we were discussing this, and LVM whole disc installation is really the issue, not encryption. We'll see about amending that bug report, but in the meantime it would be useful to know anything you can remember about when you installed your system.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coffeecat; August 16th, 2014 at 12:26 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

coffeecat
    I know that I did not choose encryption--I am not that crazy. The last thing I need is to try to remember some encryption key. As to the LVM, I must say that I just don't remember! I set that up several months ago and because I was upgrading my System76 ServalPro, I had several other issues with the upgrade that the folks at System76 helped with. I cannot remember if that choice was there in my setup window as you point out, it might have been there by default. I do know that if it was, I would have unchecked the damn encryption choice for sure. Why the developers would make encryption a default choice is beyond me. That is something only someone who really needed and wanted encryption security would choose freely and knowingly. I might have left the LVM checked, but honestly I cannot remember.

Since you raise the issue, is there a way to increase the /boot size? Simply! I can clear out the older images using synaptic (and have done so) but that can become annoying after a bit. I have already freed up space.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thanks for that feedback. The bug report has been amended to include both encrypted and non-encrypted LVM installs.

Just a FYI. The installer definitely doesn't tick the encryption box nor the LVM box by default - at least when I tried some test setups. That indeed would be poor design.

As far as increasing the /boot size, I honestly don't know. If you had an installation to conventional partitions this would be fiddly but doable. But all the hard drive space apart from the boot partition is a LVM volume which complicates things. I have avoided LVM like the proverbial barge-pole - except when doing test installs. A bit like you with encrypted installs! So I don't have the hands-on experience to advise. Perhaps someone else can. But so long as you remember to keep only the 2 most recent kernels, you should be OK. If you see a new kernel in the upgrades, then uninstall the oldest once you have tested the newest to be sure that it hasn't introduced its own problems, leaving two. It's a good idea to retain the immediate previous one, just in case.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12