Thread: How to make accented letters on mac with Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

How to make accented letters on mac with Ubuntu

Hi,

I have Lubuntu 14.04 installed on an ibook G4. Keyboard layout is set to "Macintosh". I cannot work out how to make accented characters. The usual method of using the option key (described here) does not work. For example option+e does not make an acute accent on the next vowel I key, but instead brings up the edit menu (both in leafpad and libreoffice). None of the other options for accents work either. Can anybody help with this?

Secondly, how do I bring up a terminal using only the keyboard? Ctrl+t does nothing.

Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: How to make accented letters on mac with Ubuntu

Aw, come on guys, someone must know something about this...!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not sure if this will work on your Mac, but try:

1/for terminal try Ctrl-alt f1.
    2/ go to keyboard layout in system settings and add English us international keyboard with dead keys. You should be able to select this whenever you need an accent. More information is here: http://dry.sailingissues.com/us-inte...rd-layout.html

hope this helps,
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks for your reply.

1) The terminal. Yes, that works, but really I wanted a way to bring up the terminal while seeing the desktop at the same time.

2) Keyboard. No, that didn't work. Alt + (letter) still brings up items from the window menu. Shift + (number) + (letter) just types the number.