Thread: Dlink Router's Cloud feature logs user's browsing !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Dlink Router's Cloud feature logs user's browsing !

Hi,

I purchased this router recently. This is first time I am using a Wi-Fi router so I am a bit worried about security. This Dlink router has a cloud feature which enables users to view the status, monitor the network like who is connected and make some configuration changes remotely. This does not require opening the WAN interface to the Internet.

By default this feature is not enabled. One needs go to the admin page to create an account. There are three options to access the account. The first is using dlink's phone app, the second is using their app for PC which is available only for Windows and Mac and the third is by visiting https://sg.mydlink.com .

The main reason I registered for this service is because I want to receive an alert if an unauthorized device connects to my network.

^^ As you can see I have enabled that feature but the problem is while browsing the web interface I found that Dlink is actually keeping logs of all websites visited by devices

connected to my network.

I searched but didn't find any option to disable this feature. I guess nothing can be done I am just sharing this with you guys.

So the bottom line is if someone wants to receive alerts about intrusions he is forced to give away the browsing data of his entire network to Dlink !
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Dlink Router's Cloud feature logs user's browsing !

You might be able to install another firmware such at tomato or dd-wrt and make the router do what you want. If you have another machine running 24/7 (such as a server) then you could probably set up rsyslog and a script to monitor your connections and send an email or text when an intrusion occurs. Routers are not secure, nor are your modems that you use to get internet.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Dlink Router's Cloud feature logs user's browsing !

I visited the dd-wrt and tomato websites but unfortunately my router is not supported.

I got only one PC atm but I am planning to buy an Android phone next month. I will try and find out if the phone can do this for me.
    Last edited by linuxyogi; August 14th, 2014 at 04:41 PM.
    Lubuntu 20.04