Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .iso boots to wallpaper, no unity panels

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lightbulb .iso boots to wallpaper, no unity panels

All I get on booting the latest current utopic iso is wallpaper, no panels, can't do a thing except Ctrl-Alt-F1

My bug #1356357 is "confirmed" caused by a "bot".
    What is a bot?

From command line,
    sudo service lightdm restart
    just gets wallpaper again.

What is the command line for starting Unity?

Thanks

Beans

Re: .iso boots to wallpaper, no unity panels

+1 on the bug.

Also looking for solution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I made a startup usb from my 08/13/14 Utopic and it will boot into a full desktop with Unity Launcher et all in "Try Me" mode. Without doing a full install I would say that it is working on my Intel chip set.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Restart Unity?

Code:
    setsid unity
    reset Compiz?

Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Seen similar since last fri. on an install that was updated & on all .iso's since (updated install is gone

Only diff is do get a launcher but it's non-functional.
    Also - booting to recovery > resume will produce a ubuntu session but it's using llvmpipe - see scr 1 (hardware obviously should handle unity 3d

So going back to an iso from 8 days or so & slowly updating/restarting, ect. the issue here seems to be the upgrade to xserver-xorg-video-intel package. ( xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1) to 2:2.99.914-1~exp1ubuntu1

Though I still have 28 packages to upgrade, may also factor in.. scr. 2 but downgrading the above package allows a normal login atm - scr. 3

Edit: upgraded all, so at least here the issue is with xserver-xorg-video-intel
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1356683
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; August 14th, 2014 at 04:19 AM.

Beans

@ jerrylamos
    not sure if you're seeing same issue as here where with current xserver-xorg-video-intel never get anything usable on login
    (except if thru recovery which gives the semi-worthless llvmpipe

If you wanted to try older package then get the .deb from here, pick your arch under "Builds" , download then install with dpkg
    sudo dpkg -i /path/to/thedebyoudownloaded
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...9.910-0ubuntu1

Then reboot & see

Beans
    Distro

Unity didn't start. Screenful of messages. Finally saw a line near the top:

"Your hardware does not support unity"

This is an Intel core 2 duo on a Lenovo ThinkCentre. There's millions of them out there.

How come unity linux-image -5 is supported by this hardware, and unity linux-image -8 is not?

From another crash, looks like the guilty party is compiz again....see Bug #1357753

Beans

Jerry

Just so you don't feel totally alone I can confirm that I am getting exactly the same as you, including the re-assuring(?) message that "Your hardware supports Unity" followed on the line below "Your hardware does not support Unity". This on a laptop that has been running Unity since year dot.

I can also confirm that todays updates to linux-image -9 does not resolve this.

Maybe someone can come up with a new version of Compiz, xorg-intel or anything to resolve this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have either of you tried the nomodeset option when booting from the iso?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
    Jerry

Just so you don't feel totally alone I can confirm that I am getting exactly the same as you, including the re-assuring(?) message that "Your hardware supports Unity" followed on the line below "Your hardware does not support Unity". This on a laptop that has been running Unity since year dot.

I can also confirm that todays updates to linux-image -9 does not resolve this.

Maybe someone can come up with a new version of Compiz, xorg-intel or anything to resolve this.
    You should try downgrading xserver-xorg-video-intel to the previous version & see if that resolves the issue(s) & allows compiz to start
    (as noted in my latest report this also affects gnome-session flashback > compiz

If it does then keep that version until resolved, if it doesn't then you have another issue (from me that is..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast