Thread: images inserted into LibreOffice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

images inserted into LibreOffice

I have a LibreOffice document that requires a few images to be inserted. I prepared them in Gimp. Some of them look just fine in LO, but a few are fuzzy, even though they look crystal clear in Gimp and Image Viewer. Any ideas?
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Re: images inserted into LibreOffice

Maybe some image properties need to be tweaked? Are all the images the same size and format?

If they aren't too large, you could attach them here to a reply.
    Last edited by vasa1; August 11th, 2014 at 12:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Maybe some image properties need to be tweaked? Are all the images the same size and format?

If they aren't too large, you could attach them here to a reply.
    Thanks for responding vasa1. They are attached. Intended purpose of the document is for an eBook. Pixel size, file size, and resolution are as I want. I just don't understand why the clarity softens in LO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Rescaling text (even downscaling) always softens it, especially when the change of scale isn't too big.

"Pixel size, file size, and resolution are as I want", maybe, but do you want the correct things?
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    Rescaling text (even downscaling) always softens it, especially when the change of scale isn't too big.
    True, but the softening is usually seen immediately, i.e. before exporting out of Gimp. In this case, the exported images remain clear; it isn't until they are imported to LO that they soften. A third image which was resized did not change in clarity.

"Pixel size, file size, and resolution are as I want", maybe, but do you want the correct things?
    Since I'm not asking for anything I haven't successfully done before, I'm not sure what else to want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I suspect LO to rescale the images, unless they are produced at the very size in pixels needed for print (given print definition for LO and image formatting in LO).
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Distro

I'm thinking the problem lies with LO too. The document is for an eBook, and actually, I'm way below my allotted MB limit, so perhaps I should play around with the resolution and see if that makes a difference for the better.

Beans
    Distro

Ok. I increased resolution to the style guide's recommended 96 pixels / inch, increased size to the recommended 500 pixels in width, and then sharpened the image by 30. Proof came back and it looks much better. Whew.