Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Netflix works

Beans

Re: Netflix works

Followed the directions but it keeps asking me to install Silverlight. User agent is set to IE9. Maybe I'll try another UA.
    Ubuntu 16.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

https://reddingcomputer.wordpress.com/

Beans

Nope, tried all the Windows ones. No go.
    Ubuntu 16.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

Beans

I had the same problem, I had to look in Unity for Chrome Beta. Installing the Beta doesn't remove the Chrome Stable.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Ah ha! Needed custom string:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2114.2 Safari/537.36

Beans

Re: Thanks to OMG Ubuntu!

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You haven't looked hard enough. There are lots of discussions about Netflix. Search the forums for "pipelight" to see a bunch of them.
    I guess I should've clarified, I haven't seen any netflix threads about this latest development, except for this one of course.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Your list looks a bit light.
    I guess I already had all those i386 packages installed. Maybe they came along with pipelight, or maybe they were installed for some other packages. Someday we'll all be on the x64 platform, and we can leave all this duplication behind. By then Netflix will be using some system based on HTML5, and probably with a proprietary DRM layer that they'll never port to Linux.
    Park and Watson said Netflix would replace Silverlight on Windows and Mac desktops and notebooks with three HTML5 extensions -- Netflix collectively dubbed them "HTML5 Premium Video Extensions" -- to allow JavaScript to generate media streams, lock down the content with digital rights management (DRM) anti-piracy technology, and encrypt/decrypt the JavaScript-to-Netflix-server communications.

Netflix has already begun using two of the three extensions -- the exception is "WebCrypto," which handles JavaScript encryption -- in Google's Chrome OS on Samsung's Chromebook. Once WebCrypto is supported by the Chrome browser -- the foundation of Chrome OS -- Netflix will start testing the Silverlight substitute on Windows and OS X.
    I notice that one operating system is glaringly absent from this discussion.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I guess I already had all those i386 packages installed. Maybe they came along with pipelight, or maybe they were installed for some other packages. Someday we'll all be on the x64 platform, and we can leave all this duplication behind. By then Netflix will be using some system based on HTML5, and probably with a proprietary DRM layer that they'll never port to Linux.

I notice that one operating system is glaringly absent from this discussion.
    ??

But Chrome supports that (EME) already on Linux, that's why it is working now and you don't need silverlight anymore. Actually, EME is a W3C standard.

Beans

I had the same problem, I had to look in Unity for Chrome Beta. Installing the Beta doesn't remove the Chrome Stable.
    Yeah, that perplexed me for a few minutes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    But Chrome supports that (EME) already on Linux, that's why it is working now and you don't need silverlight anymore. Actually, EME is a W3C standard.
    I don't want to use Chrome. I want to use Firefox. Have a solution for that?

Your list looks a bit light.
    Update:
    I just installed wine on a machine that had no version of it before. It brought in all those :i386 packages to support 32-bit Windows applications. From the WINE FAQ:
    2.5. Is there a 64 bit Wine?

Yes. 64 bit Wine has been available on Linux since 1.2, and most major distros now package it for users. Normally, installation should be as simple as installing the Wine package for your distribution through your package manager. Check the Downloads page.

A couple of things to note:

32 bit Wine runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux/Unix installations. 16-bit and 32-bit Windows applications will run on it.

64-bit Wine runs only on 64 bit installations, and at present only on Linux. It requires the installation of 32 bit libraries in order to run 32 bit Windows applications. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows applications (should) work with it; however, there are still many bugs.
    [emphasis mine]

Installing pipelight which depends on wine-compholio thus brings in all those i386 packages you saw.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 13th, 2014 at 09:51 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks to the following link, I have Netflix working in Ubuntu.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/08/n...upport-plugins
    Thanks for the link and just today had time to try it.

Works great.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast