Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Metasploit and Nexpose Vulnerability Scanner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Free Metasploit and Nexpose Vulnerability Scanner

and this, but you have to allow the exception..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Several hours at the terminal (if not days of reading) to get this thing going

regards..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bashiergui View Post
    Download Kali Linux and run it in a VM. Metasploit is packaged in Kali and you can give them completely made up contact information.

http://www.kali.org
    I downloaded it from their site without registering. http://www.kali.org/downloads/
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I downloaded it from their site without registering. http://www.kali.org/downloads/

Thats cool , but you'll need the key to get it going in the UI mode and to get the key you have to give valid e-mail address .. unless you are running something different or hacked.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Thats cool , but you'll need the key to get it going in the UI mode and to get the key you have to give valid e-mail address .. unless you are running something different or hacked.
    Didn't know that. I hadn't gotten around to installing it. I have no use for it in the near future. If I could trust that the information was being kept completely private, then I could understand, but we all know that nothing is kept private anymore on the Internet of Things.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Didn't know that. I hadn't gotten around to installing it. I have no use for it in the near future. If I could trust that the information was being kept completely private, then I could understand, but we all know that nothing is kept private anymore on the Internet of Things.
    Well, that's exactly my point about any software of this nature (think I mentioned that precisely). I will say that downloading it in a conventional manner will require name, number and e-mail .. etc.. to get the licence key .. other wise it's useless.

After a brief oversight of how it performs and what is needed to get it to do all of it's penetration tests ; that equals to a lot of down time and I am so busy that I can only do it in bits and pieces.

Apport already provides us with a sort of pre-testing environment during development releases. Certainly there are always things missed but most are usually fixed in point releases.

btw .. I downloaded metasploit on an existing install of Utopic and it ran quite well. As you can see while attempting to contact the localhost in an above screenshot, firefox did it's job by flagging it

I think people get taken aback when I claim that Ubuntu is bulletproof and perhaps rightfully so but, if I were to take two identical computers, one with Windows 7 and one with Ubuntu Trusty and had no firewall or antimalware on either of them (Windows Defender included) and surfed the internet freely for a week and then downloaded CAV (comodo antivirus) on each PC then the Windows 7 (if it survived a week with no AV or FW protection) would be riddled with malware where as Ubuntu would come up with zero (already tested that here). To me , that's bulletproof.

regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Huh. Didn't know they're pushing the gui version so hard. I've only used the cli version. Bonus: it comes with fun ascii art!

Regardless, once you play around with it you might consider installing metasploitable (which is a seriously vulnerable Ubuntu server btw) in a VM, then spend some time attacking it. You'll see that an absence of viruses doesn't make Ubuntu bulletproof. Can't remember how many vulns there are in metasploitable, but I think there are hundreds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bashiergui View Post
    Huh. Didn't know they're pushing the gui version so hard. I've only used the cli version. Bonus: it comes with fun ascii art!

Regardless, once you play around with it you might consider installing metasploitable (which is a seriously vulnerable Ubuntu server btw) in a VM, then spend some time attacking it. You'll see that an absence of viruses doesn't make Ubuntu bulletproof. Can't remember how many vulns there are in metasploitable, but I think there are hundreds.
    There is quite a huge framework/db to play with. I think I missed making my point. Most any program, bugs or no bugs , can be exploited in some way. Exploiting (penetration) and taking remote access is one thing and injecting code is another, especially injecting any type of tailor made Windows brand malware. As far as I have tested, the Windows brand malwares do not infect or affect the !ubuntu! system. I will say , however, that I have seen malicious java scripts do a number on firefox but this is like comparing apples and oranges and the incidence of occurences overall is negligible.

Regards..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12