Thread: Music not appearing on Dash

Beans

Music not appearing on Dash

Hello Ubuntu Geeks,

Though I have lots of music in my "Music" folder, I cannot view them on Dash.

Is it a bug?

I have attached a screenshot for your convenience.

Cheers,
    Avi
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Music not appearing on Dash

I don't know if this'll help but check what filter options are set. (upper right corner)
    For better System Stability and Security avoid 3rd party programs & apps where you can; and only use those you really need.
    I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 HP and my last "BSOD" was in April 2012!!!

Beans

Hi Cliff_Simonds,

On filter, "All" is selected in the options. Yet nothing appears.

Thanks,
    Avi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I found this thread maybe it'll help. Sombody had a similiar problem in 2112.

Excerpt: "Some lens search local folders like the Video lens. Others only show what's been imported into certain apps

Music lens will show only local files imported into rhythmbox & or banshee
    (there may be 'scopes' avail. for other players

Photo lens will show all photos imported into shotwell, plus some online stuff, don't do that here
    (Description - A plugin to browse your photos from Shotwell, Flickr and Facebook in the Dash."
    For better System Stability and Security avoid 3rd party programs & apps where you can; and only use those you really need.
    I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 HP and my last "BSOD" was in April 2012!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can confirm that the Music scope shows what songs/albums have been played and not the files in the Music folder. Likewise, the Files scope will show the files and folders that have recently been accessed. Dash scopes are not there to replace the File Manager. Not yet at least.

Edit: In the Dash Home we can use the filter options to expand or limit the search sources. If we have imported music files into Rhythmbox we can select Rhythmbox as a search source. Also make sure that Files & Folders is selected as a search source. Then when we open the Music scope we can search for songs and albums by name and we will get a result.

The Dash is basically a search tool. It is not a file manager tool.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; August 9th, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

You don't need to 'play' tracks or albums to have them show in the music lens, just import them into any player that has an installed scope.
    (- a log out/in may be needed after

That being said if you have more than 1 player with a scope the music lens starts to become worthless as it does not currently have a source filter which was lost in changes in 13.04 & never fixed. So then you'll start getting dupes displayed with no way to tell what player will open if done thru the lens.
    At this point the music lens is a bit of an abandoned mess...