Thread: 100% Compatible Modern Laptop Recommendation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question 100% Compatible Modern Laptop Recommendation

So, after taking my flash drive to a local Office Depot, testing several models, and leaving empty handed, I'm back to the forum for help...

I need recommendations on a laptop that is confirmed 100% compatible with Ubuntu 14.04, with no real hacks and workarounds for the hardware to function. I will use it primarily for network troubleshooting and web browsing, maybe music from time to time, so my hardware requirements are very basic. I'd like good video performance, meaning I don't want stuttering graphics. Intel HD is fine, seems to always work well. I would like for screen brightness controls to work. I need working ethernet and wifi. I have a working USB ethernet, so that part is not 100% necessary, but I need wifi to be stable out of the box or with a simple update (not a hack). I'd like battery life to be decent, maybe 4+ hours. 3 is acceptable, i guess, but the more the merrier. I would prefer a 10-key numpad. At least 4GB of RAM, and no Celeron processors!

Any recommendations from your own testing? I don't mind ordering a laptop, but I need to know beyond the shadow of a doubt before I order one. I'd prefer to be able to walk into a Best Buy, Office Max, or Office Depot and pick one up, but still need confirmation on working models. I also have a Walmart near me. I am in the US, if that matters.

Thanks
    "Despite millions of dollars of research, Death continues to be Americas number one killer."

Kingdom Computer Solutions

Beans

Re: 100% Compatible Modern Laptop Recommendation

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'll add zareason too as they also sell Ubuntu preinstalled computers. http://zareason.com/shop/home.php

Dell and Lenovo from my experience are very compatible with Ubuntu. Just don't get the latest model with nvidia or ati graphics cards just to be sure on driver compatibility. Although you can still use Ubuntu on new machine with a little tweaking.

My laptop is running an Intel processor and its about two generations behind the latest models.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I see one I like at System76, but still hoping to get some responses regarding off-the-shelf laptops I can check out at local stores and walk out with knowing the hardware will not be an issue. There were a couple that "felt" good at Office Depot yesterday, but checking the wireless adapters against the forum showed I would be in for a headache with wifi.

Going to check Best Buy and Office Max today, and keep an eye on this thread. May end up going the System76 route just because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will work.
    "Despite millions of dollars of research, Death continues to be Americas number one killer."

Kingdom Computer Solutions

Beans

There already is a thread for that : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006 .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Picked up a Toshiba E45-B4200 from Best Buy. Worked flawlessly from a live USB. Has proper access to Bios without booting Windows first.

Imaging the drive with Clonezilla, then installing Ubuntu