Thread: Various problems: chkrootkit, aide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Various problems: chkrootkit, aide

1) chkrootkit is not producing a log?!

This is the line from my crontab However, the log never gets sent to me..and when I check the log it is empty. I have tried Chkrootkit from the terminal and it runs OK. What am I missing?

30 09 * * * root /usr/sbin/chkrootkit && cat /var/log/chkrootkit/log.today | mail -s "chkrootkit log for $(date)" xxx@gmail.com

I am using 14.04.

2) this is my crontab for aide...it runs no problem....but not sure how meaningful the output is. Should I be running it with a different switch?

15 09 * * * root /usr/bin/aide/aide.conf --check && head -n 20 /var/log/aide/aide.log | mail -s "Aide log for $(date)" xxxx@gmail.com

aide run on pj-selxxuild started at 2014-08-02 08:37:38.
    AIDE returned with exit code 7. Added, removed and changed entries detected!
    AIDE produced no errors.
    AIDE output (292772 lines):
    lstat() failed for /run/user/1000/gvfsermission denied
    lstat() failed for /run/user/1001/gvfsermission denied
    Entry /home/pj/.gvfs in databases has different attributes: 1a00200fbd 800000fbd
    Entry /root/.gvfs in databases has different attributes: 800000fbd 1a00200fbd
    Entry /usr/sbin/sendmail in databases has different attributes: 1ac027cfbd a00000fbf
    Entry /usr/share/applications/defaults.list in databases has different attributes: a00000fbf 1ac027cfbd
    AIDE 0.16a2-19-g16ed855 found differences between database and filesystem!!
    New AIDE database written to /var/lib/aide/aide.db.new
    Start timestamp: 2014-08-02 08:37:38 +1200
    Verbose level: 6

Summary:
    Total number of entries: 408490
    Added entries: 106371
    Removed entries: 64054
    Changed entries: 13662

---------------------------------------------------
    Added entries:
    -------------------------------------
    Ubuntu is computer speak for defenestration

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Various problems: chkrootkit, aide

Quote Originally Posted by dunbrokin View Post
    chkrootkit is not producing a log?!
    IIRC Chkrootkit sends output to stdout, meaning you have to send it to whatever destination yourself.
    the log never gets sent to me
    If that's due to what I wrote about above then try '/usr/sbin/chkrootkit > /var/log/chkrootkit/log.today 2>&1;' or send via email directly: '/usr/sbin/chkrootkit 2>&1| mail -s "chkrootkit log for $(date)" some@address;'. If it's not that then also check your /var/log mail log, because if your IP address is in a range for residential use and you don't use your ISPs MTA then Google may block it.
    lstat() failed for /run/user/1000/gvfsermission denied lstat() failed for /run/user/1001/gvfsermission denied
    No idea what subsystem actually uses /run/ (systemd? udev? ^whatever.*kit?) but these are volatile files just like the ones in /proc/. Unless there's a distinct reason these files and directories should be watched for changes I suggest you exclude them from the database.
    Entry /home/pj/.gvfs in databases has different attributes: 1a00200fbd 800000fbd
    AFAIK that's a GNOME Virtual File System mount point. Unless you weaken it with mount options I suggest you exclude it from the database.
    Entry /root/.gvfs in databases has different attributes: 800000fbd 1a00200fbd
    Same here except root should have nothing to do with any runlevel 5 graphical utilities so this shouldn't exist in the first place IMHO.
    Entry /usr/sbin/sendmail in databases has different attributes: 1ac027cfbd a00000fbf
    Check which attributes changed when, try to correlate the change with running prelink of system updates, else see 'man debsums'.
    Entry /usr/share/applications/defaults.list in databases has different attributes: a00000fbf 1ac027cfbd
    Same as with the sendmail binary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you for that, I very much appreciate your help. I will try them out and report back on how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks your suggestion for chkrootkit worked perfectly.