Thread: Help needed to improve file search in File Manager

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Help needed to improve file search in File Manager

I have installed Xubuntu 14.04 successfully and now I am trying to figure out a few things. I want to extend a file search down to sub directories on my system. I figured out how to use (a little bit) the "find" command and it is exceptionally powerful but I would really like to have a similar capability on the GUI, since I am trying to help some who is used to using XP make the transition to Xubuntu. The GUI search ability should allow partial name searches.

I have tried various searches and come up with references to "Catfish" which looks like the right thing but most of the references are from years ago and I am a little worried about actually installing it.

Some help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sort of PS: The reason I put this in "New to Ubuntu" is that although I've been using it for several months, it took me an hour to figure out MAYBE my desktop environment is Xfce and MAYBE the 'File Manage' is Thunar... still not sure if this is true.

Ross
    Last edited by ross4; August 2nd, 2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: forgot the version number

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Help needed to improve file search in File Manager

Quote Originally Posted by ross4 View Post
    I have tried various searches and come up with references to "Catfish" which looks like the right thing but most of the references are from years ago and I am a little worried about actually installing it.
    Catfish is a good app and still works fine. No need to worry about installing it.

Beans

Catfish is installed by default in Xubuntu 14.04. Xubuntu 14.04 uses Catfish for its file search from the file manager (File > Find in this folder). Catfish uses find when searching, and includes subfolders by default in its search. The find command used in the terminal has options to control the depth of the search.

Don't miss the F9 option in the file search, which permits you to narrow your search by dates and type of content.
    Last edited by Dennis N; August 2nd, 2014 at 08:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, there it is! Thanks!

Arrrgh, the problems of being a newbie. I couldn't remember what the name of the desktop environment was and there it was on the mouse-icon menu (About Xfce). I couldn't figure out what the real name of 'File Manager' was and there it was staring at me when I did ctrl-tab to flip between windows. I found out that Catfish on the machine by doing a 'locate' but didn't know that it was installed and could be started by going to the mouse-icon menu and finding it. On the latter point, I think I was mis-led by a Google search item that when Catfish is installed it will add search feature to the file manager.

At any rate, thanks very much for your answers.