Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Samba help to get difficult printer working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Could Samba help to get difficult printer working?

Hi, Been trying for years to get a Lexmark Z2420 printer, which works fine on Windows, working on recent Ubuntu distros without success. No compatible driver or .ppd file since Ubuntu 10.10 and Lexmark gave up their support. I have Lexmark's Windows installation CD and it's easy enough to get the printer working in Windows, both USB and wifi with a fixed IP address.

Just wondering if there's a chance that Samba could get it working. Sorry I'm not really clear how Samba works and what it can or can't do. Could I, after installing Samba, hope to be able to use Lexmark's Windows CD to install the printer and get it working on Ubuntu that way? . .

Had problems understanding Samba documentation so just looking for guidance.at this stage as to whether Samba would be worth pursuing in this kind of situation.

Tks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Could Samba help to get difficult printer working?

Samba is most likely not the solution unless you want to hook it up as a network printer, even then you still need the printer driver to work in linux.

Best chance I believe you would have is using NDIS wrapper. It works with some print drivers. Not sure about Lexmark - they had a bad reputation with linux.
    here's a page that may be of help.

also here.
    Last edited by kc1di; July 30th, 2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 14.04.1 /Xubuntu 14.04.1/Ubuntu-Gnome 14.04/UbuntuMate 14.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Could This help?

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro

Many thanks for the suggestions folks, and for the good luck wishes which will very likely be necessary for the difficult task I'm trying to crack.

I'm going to try your NDIS wrapper suggestion, kc1di, and hope to come back with a report on whether it gets me anywhere or not in due course.

I'd already tried the lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386. driver suggested in your link to 2010 threads, plucky, where they were on Lucid and Natty. My installation appears to complete OK on Precise but fails to print anything, the cause if I understand correctly being incompatibility of later Ubuntu distros to work with either that driver or Lexmark's .ppd file. This is reflected by Lexmark only showing drivers compatible with Ubuntu distros up to 2010 on their website. Hmmm...

I'm just wondering if there's any hope that the driver incompatibility that I suspect first occurred with Maverick, could be retrospectively corrected in Trusty?? Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro

I installed Ndiswrapper and its GUI supplement ndisgtk and tried to follow the steps in the cybercity link that kc1di suggested. Found LXDQprc.inf and autorun.inf on the Lexmark CD that came with the printer, and tried installing those, but Ndiswrapper marked them both as invalid drivers. Couldn't find any other .inf files on the CD. Looked for .sys files there too, but failed to find any. Also looked for Lexmark .inf and .sys files in the Win7 installation where the printer is installed and working in wireless mode, but without success. Not sure whether I'm just not looking in the right place for these .inf and .sys files or whether it's Ndiswrapper that basically can't handle Lexmark stuff.

It's frustrating that this Lexmark installs and works perfectly well on Windows, but I can't find any way of getting it to work on Precise.

Beans

I know a silly question, but any reason you're still struggling with the Lexmark? we had a Dell AiO which was a rebadged Lexmark and it gave us no end of trouble (came free with the Dell laptop). Now using an Epson workforce on WiFi and it's been a breeze to setup (precise and trusty) - probably about the same price too.
    btw, can network print with Samba onto a win-7 PC OK

Beans
    Distro

No, that's a fair enough question mv-baker-146. Actually the printer isn't my own. I'm trying to get it to work for a none-too-cyber-savvy neighbour who I've managed to persuade and help to go over from winwoes to Ubuntu. They only need to use their printer very occasionally. but my inability to bring this Lexmark over to Ubuntu means struggling on helping them to maintain their troublesome Vista It would be so much easier and cleaner if we could completely abandon their winwoes. Part of the argument is because this Lexmark continues to work perfectly on Windows. Hard to consign it to the rubbish bin and expect them to fork out for a new one under these circumstances.

So I'm still looking for a miracle solution here!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had a somewhat similar situation here in which I could not get either of my two printers to work properly via CUPS (I eventually discovered that I was not using the correct communication technique and they do work properly now). In order to make them work, I created a virtual machine (using VirtualBox) with minimum resources, and installed a copy of WinXP on it. When creating the VM, I set it up to be a separate independent station on my little LAN, but it could have been set up to be only a slave on the machine hosting VBox so that it acted very much like a rather large printer driver.

I then installed the printers in that copy of WinXP, using the manufacturer's CDs, and configured them for file sharing. I disabled all updating and external web access for the copy; its only purpose was to be a local print server for the machines on my LAN.

Finally, back at the host (and the other machines on my LAN, four at the time) I configured CUPS to connect to the networked printers.

This worked quite well for a couple of years, until I finally discovered almost by accident how to configure CUPS properly for direct connections! It might be more than a slight bit of overkill for a non-technical neighbor's system, though. Virtual machines seem very much like magic to non-geeks -- my wife still doesn't believe in their existence, although I've put two of them on her Win8.1 system, so that she can run some of her favorite games left over from Windows 3.1 days, and she uses them like any other program...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

I don't believe you can use ndiswrapper either - I think ndiswrapper is only for things like network controllers on your PC - not for remote devices.

Beans

Deleted. I accidently posted before I was finished. The finished post is below.
    Last edited by dave131; August 19th, 2014 at 07:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast