Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fountainhead - Howard Roark Speech (Ayn Rand)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The Fountainhead - Howard Roark Speech (Ayn Rand)

Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

Beans

Re: The Fountainhead - Howard Roark Speech (Ayn Rand)

I don't know how you could ever discuss Ayn Rand without turning it into a political firestorm. All I can say about Ayn Rand is that I don't think humans need any particular lessons in being selfish, self-centered beings. I think they do that all by themselves quite naturally.

Ironic that it is brought up on a forum that supports a philosophy of giving away one's work to the masses for free and believes that information wants to be free.

Ubuntu 14.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

https://reddingcomputer.wordpress.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So long as this remains a discussion about a significant literary work and does not stray into a flame war about Rand's views with regard to individualism versus collectivism or how any particular political entity behaves in relation to those things, I won't put a stop to it. Individualism and collectivism are appropriate matters of civil dicussion related to open source software.

However is this becomes a flame war, devolves into bashing any particular companies or a discussion about politics, rest assured it will be closed.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mooreted View Post
    Ironic that it is brought up on a forum that supports a philosophy of giving away one's work to the masses for free and believes that information wants to be free.
    If you notice several people who can't code or help are quite vitriolic in their criticism of things even when provided to them free. That speech brought such people to mind.

I don't mind this thread being closed even before any problems arise.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

Beans

That I can agree with. It amazes me that people get hopping mad about something they have been given for free. Fortunately, they are a small minority of people I just ignore.
    Ubuntu 14.04 x64, Core i7 4770k, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 650, Sandisk Extreme 120 SSD.

Beans

Ah, everyone hates the Creator, even while benefiting from the creation. And the Creator is shackled by social constraints imposed by the Parasites.

It's an appealing concept to certain personality types.
    It's an adolescent misrepresentation of how society works.
    The Fountainhead is a fun fantasy. Like Lord Of The Rings. Or a Marx Brothers movie.

Benjamin Franklin, for example, was a very popular Creator in his time. So were Robert Oppenheimer and Steve Jobs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

None of whom, unsupported by the societies in which they lived, the accomplishments of predecessors or the labor of others could have accomplished anything.

Nobody does anything that they can truly take full credit for.

To be successful, the Roman needs Rome. Otherwise he can be, at best, a miserable soul clad in animal skins and hoping a hare entangles itself in the snare.

Creators should be more humble -- others make the spears with which they make the kill.

This is the critical failing of Ayn Rand's philosophy. She lived in a world where the support structures existed, but being blinded by taking those structures for granted, could not see that the Creators stood on them. She did not see that the individual is supported by the collective.

Edit: To put this in perspective, other writers of her time did not see that the collective benefits from the Creators when all things are in balance. When the hunter shares his bounty with those who made the spear there is balance. Both hunter and spearmaker deserve due credit. And I see no problem with the hunter taking a portion commensurate with the risk he takes so long as it does not create unfair hardship for the spearmaker.

There is room in this world for both hunters and spearmakers. I disagree with those who think not.
    Last edited by QIII; July 30th, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mooreted View Post
    That I can agree with. It amazes me that people get hopping mad about something they have been given for free. Fortunately, they are a small minority of people I just ignore.
    That's is what happened to Remastersys, other peoples' children
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    So long as this remains a discussion about a significant literary work ...
    Is any of her work significant?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Is any of her work significant?
    No, not it's not. I always saw her as an angry, selfish and not very intelligent woman. Who do you suppose gathered those pearls she wears? Who built the house she lives in, the television camera she likes to be in front of, telephones and the clothes she wears? Besides which, what did she ever create but a not very interesting set of books and a couple of bad movies based on the books?

One might be thinking, "But I spent months writing this program, it is mine!" However, who developed the C++ program language you used to build it? Who wrote the compiler? Who came up with the machine language instructions the programming language uses to communicate with the hardware? Who invented Boolean algebra that makes computers possible? And on, and on.

No man, or woman, is an island. You don't create in a vacuum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast